Why I LOVE BP and BP'ers !!!

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by ElvinWarrior, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

This is a thread, for us to express our innermost secrets... Our hidden motivations... Our dark sides...

Why do you like Black Powder? What brought YOU into the fold? The history of it all? The romance of it? The faint far away cry of the wild wolf in the hills, free, forever free, unburdened by laws, restrictions, and prying eyes? The shear beauty of the arms, the craftsmanship, the idea, of taking a hammer, and an anvil, a bit of ore, a bit of coal or charcoal, alot of sweat and practiced skill, and hand forging it into a piece of art that started a revolution that changed the world....

Just Why or Why are you here in this forum ???

For me, it's all of the above, and beyond that ever more. I love the smell of it, the orange flame gushing out of the muzzle violently, the kick, the feel of solid walnut, solid brass, and finely crafted steel made by steel masters... The skill of holding the mark, until the flinter ignites, holding my breath, waiting... "Did I get the buck? Is there meat on the menu?"

God I LOVE IT !!!... And whenever I think, I was born a hundred or 300 years too late, I take down my 50 caliber flinter from the wall, lay it in my lap, and think about all these things, until I am right with the world I am living in now.

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David, "EW"
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I can make all i need without government interference or restrictions
  3. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Jack,

True that !!! And you can buy, sell, ship all the ML's you want without any of the government fiddle-farts sticking their nose into your hobby room too !!!

:) :) :) :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sincerly,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David, "EW"
  4. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

In the beginning it was a new shooting discipline, a challenge. Then I got hooked. The history, the many, many variations of BP firearms...finally settled on flintlocks, and now I shoot them more than most of my others. From 4 bore down to .62 cal., smaller than that and I have to go to cap locks! I need to stay away from matchlocks, I don't need another addiction! And don't get me started on artillery either! A lot of years as a re-enactor with a Rev-War artillery company left me wanting a brass 6 pounder in a bad way!
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

This the land of Gun control , so not here sad to say ,

I msut have a firearms permit

but what i dont have to do is

sign and show ID for AMMO , i make my own.

I don't have to fill in the forms to make a new one or dozen

They dont count to my firearms count

in this state the pistols are pistols no matter what you may say
    and i cant make one for love nor money , they'd lock me up and sort it later ..

That the U.N. BS for ya

but now i got a TAP O CAP ( Cheers again! )

i'm moving out of being 100% flinter to a couple of builds

one a traditional cap rifle ( a dixie Kit) , one a in line scratch build
  6. rammed

rammed New Member

Elvin

If you have to wait for a flinter to ignite your lock needs tuned. :mad:

I got into BP because :
    1. it was cheap.
    2 I like history
    3 I can use my woodworking and metal working skills to build ML rifles.

Have a good one

Doug
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A good flint lock is almost as fast as a good cap lock and faster than something like a TC or Investarms. I got into it when I was 12. I was looking for a new .22 SA to replace the one I'd worn out and saw a 58 Remington and had to have it. Been hooked ever since.
  8. Hogpost

Hogpost New Member

As a jr high kid in 1957, BP was all my dad would let me shoot. Wanted me to understand and appreciate firearms before getting all "high cap" and overgunned. My first was a Belgian flintlock, then a 44 cal British Adams C&B revolver. By 1959 I had gotten into BP cartridges (44-40 Colt, 11mm Mauser, & 40-65 Winchester), and never looked back. Not much reloading support back then, so I learned & made stuff on my own. Only smokeless I enjoy today is 1911 & Garand, 'cause they kept me alive in 'Nam.
    I love the BP smoke & boom and handgun recoil; and the superb accuracy if done right; and there's always a yuppie with a 9mil in the next lane who yells, "What the hell was that?"
    Intoduced my son to guns the same way; he "gets it," and hunts with both 270 & 45-70.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  9. sewerman

sewerman New Member

as a young child growing up in the heart of virginia listening to the old folks still discussing the lost cause & politics i always dreamed of having a musket.

after many years as a re-enactor i have several! and have enjoyed B.P shooting off & on for years. recently i have become more dedicated to B.P. and purchased a brace of 1858 remingtons to cement the commitment.

what do i like about B.P.?....pretty much everything that has already been stated:
    no government interference ...yet!
    the history of it all.
    smoke/smell
    folks involved are good people
    shooting B.P. just makes a fella feel close to the earth like setting a good garden!:)

s.m.
  10. firearm1

firearm1 New Member

the gold and black model is the best looking design for that handgun
  11. barrucuda

barrucuda New Member

ive only been on this forum now for a few days and have enjoyed talking with everyone.
    BP was my introduction to shooting. my father wanted to teach me marksmanship and one shot should mean one kill, appreciation for history and that ammo is expensive so this will slow ya down from blasting all my bullets away.
    i still love my TC .50 hawken that we biult together from a kit. nothing is like the thunderous KABOOOOOM a smoke pole makes and i always chuckle when the other guys at the range start gaging on that wonderful sulfur and rotten egg smelling smoke.
    i love the fact that the government dont stick their damn nose in our smoke pole fun too.
  12. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Pretty much sums it up.
    I'm one of those too that actually enjoy cleaning them afterwards. ;)
  13. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

Anything mentioned above, I'm in total agreement. I have shot and still shoot center/rimfire, but after that first time I pulled the trigger on the Hawken, I was dead hooked. Black powder was my favorite to shoot from then on, and the only thing lacking for me to have a complete all around collection is a BP pistol (and its probably going to be a '51 Navy, preferrably a .36)

My number one favorite is the slow push of the recoil from a ML rifle. It just feels so right, the way it just pushes on me. Waiting for that smoke to clear to see where the deer is headed is pretty heart pounding and a close second though.
  14. 01brian

01brian New Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to the forum Brian ! good to have another BP nut in the place ;)
  16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The smell, the smoke, the history, taking a few steps back in time.