Why is .380 ammo more expensive than 9mm?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hackercat13, Jan 17, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

That little bit of extra liability and not as much demand; in plain english = lawyers and bean counters ! :mad:
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

If you aren't reloading...you are screwing up.

Especially if those dang Gun Grabbers keep giving us heck about ammo...California's the worst of 'em.

Besides, if you learn your craft properly, you can make better ammo than you can buy :)

However, I cheated...I married a gal with her own reloading equipment who has better gear than I did!! ;)
    Now That's Marriage Material!!!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  3. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I am thankful to not live in the People's Rupublic of California, but I don't reload. How much is it going to cost me for a basic reloading setup? $1000? $2000? That's alot of ammo! Then there's materials and trial and error.

My local shop (surplus arms and ammo) sells .380 Magtech at $11.99 per 50 rounds FMJ. That's 23.9 cents a round. I don't know much about reloading, but it seems like it'd take a ton of shooting to break even. Someone enlighten me if I am guessing wrong, and I could do it for less.
    Chris
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

A LEE kit can be had with dies for about $150. That means all you need to add is components (primers, powder, cases, and bullets), and you're ready to load. It's not a high-end kit, but it'll get you going for under two bills. Not too bad, really.

I don't load either, but it's #2 on my next purchases list (after an AR build, so it's a bit away).
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Yeah, I can see why that'd be a priority! Having an AR is nice, it's my favorite weapon, and my go-to gun for almost any situation.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll start doing a bit of research. I just bought a new house with a huge 2 car garage (man cave), so I have the space.
    Chris
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The reloading thing really does work out to be a "wash." I think those that reload will tell you that, yes, you can save money by reloading. But, if reloading allows you to "shoot more," which it does since it's cheaper then, it's really not, because you're shooting MORE. So, it's a wash. :D There are worse things to blow money on though.
  7. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

Supply and Demand.

The supply for .380 is pretty high in some European countries. They aren't allowed to use military calibers. Many have moved to the .380 acp or 9x17mm. There is also not near as many made as 9x19 ammo.

The popularity of the .380 also spiked and the ammo manufacturers are just now getting caught up to the demand. I doubt it will every be cheaper than 9mm though.
  8. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

I suspect that is a big part of the answer. Back when the 45 was the standard-issue Army service automatic, I do not recall such a gap in the prices of 9mm versus .380, but maybe my memory is faulty.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The only reason(s) to reload for me is:
    You will have ammo.
    You can make an accuracy load for each gun.