WHY is it done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Aug 20, 2009.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have noticed that on several sites and numerous threads that the AR15, the AK47, the SKS and a lot of other weapons are being called ASSAULT WEAPONS by the members WHY? My dang baseball bat is an ASSAULT WEAPON if I use it to beat the crap out of someone!!! Are we starting to get members that just don't care or understand how much they are playing into the hands of both the media and the Brady bunch!! Gun owners should learn to call a pistol a pistol, a shotgun a shotgun and a rifle a rile. Or call them by make and model there are any auto-pistols in my home they 1911's or semi-auto's there are no DANG ASSAULT WEPONS they are 45 carbines M1 carbines M1 grands AK47 SKS AR15.
    Come on guys use the proper terms or don't say anything
    Of course that is just my two cents to each his own:mad:
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I've noticed it too, it bugs me.
  3. I completely agree Ron. "Assault weapon" is a military term that the anti-gun [expletive deleted] like to use because it sounds so dangerous to the uninformed. As you say, the term plays right into the hands of the [many expletives deleted] SOBs who want to ban them. :mad: :rolleyes:
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Point very well made, 358 -
    We must be ever vigilent NOT to engage in 'newspeak', lest we add credence to it and the powers that work for control of our minds.
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

My understanding of the term today is that a true assault weapon has to have full auto capability.
    On the other hand a Brown Bess and a Trapdoor Springfield were assault weapons in their day
  6. ampaterry

I have DOUBLED before, but that is the first time I TRIPPLED!!
  7. ampaterry

Quadrupled???
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

An Assault RIFLE is a military term.

Assault WEAPON is a non-existent thing that the anti-gunners made up. There is no such thing as an ASSAULT WEAPON. So, no, the Brown Bess and the Trapdoor Springfield were not ASSAULT WEAPONS.

When people use the term ASSAULT WEAPON, instead of getting upset and saying, "No a real ASSAULT WEAPON would be fully automatic" (which is wrong), get upset and say, "There is no such thing as an ASSAULT WEAPON." If you are going to get upset about this, get upset for the correct reason.

I think the supposed pro-gun people that use these terms use them in the mistaken belief that it makes them sound smarter/more experienced/tougher/braver/like a veteran/like a cop. It's the same as the people that cannot call a gun a gun, but must call it a WEAPON.

For that matter, it's like the people that insist on using the term, "Handgun". Back in the 60s, the people that played the gun-games (PPC, mostly) started saying they shot "Handguns" instead of pistols. That way, everyone that heard them would know they were professionals:rolleyes:. Everyone that wanted to be thought knowledgeable started using the term, and the anti-gunners picked it up, and now everyone uses it. People look at you funny if you say you own pistols.

As an aside, can you see "Pistol Control, Inc", getting anywhere?

So please, people, do not use the following terms:
    Assault Weapon
    Saturday Night Special
    Pocket Rocket
    Cop-Killer Bullets
    Street Sweeper
    Alley Cleaner

Call guns what they are. Guns. Pistols, rifles, shotguns. Guns.

It ain't that hard.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  9. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler New Member

Wikipedia:

An assault weapon is a political term referring to any of a broad category of firearms including military-style semiautomatic rifles derived from assault rifles, some pistols, and some shotguns. Assault weapons are often similar in appearance to military firearms, but are capable of firing only once each time the trigger is pulled.

TT
  10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

In order to properly refer to firearms people would have to take the time to educate themselves on the subject, something that liberals repeatedly show they are unwilling to do on any political subject.
  11. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

AMEN
  12. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Been one of my "hot buttons" for quite a while.:(:(:eek::eek: In fact, I raised the same question here or on another forum quite a while back.
    oldogy
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+.02 and by the end of this collection we SHOULD have several thousand $$$ I don't even use the term jokingly.
  14. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

I don't think I've ever used the term "assault weapon," although I unconsciously read it as "assault rifle." (It wasn't until I got to Pistolenschutze's first post here that I realized we were talking about a difference.)

So gurus, is the term "assault rifle" ok when referring to the class that AK-47s, M4s, M16s, etcetera, fall in? Or maybe we should invent a new term to combat the "assault weapon" vibe. :D Freedom implement?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  15. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Because we all know that those weapons get up and beat people up.:rolleyes: