Why No Extractor Cut on Headspace Guage

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/18/01 4:09:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Headspace gauges
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why are they made without a cut out for the extractor? Would I ruin the one's I have by making the cut out myself with a dremmel tool? Being ever so careful as to not leave any burrs?

Thanks

Smoky14
    (12/18/01 4:20:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Headspace gauges
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I cut mine out and been using it that way for 10yrs without difficulty. If you also drill and tap a hole through the center you can measure the actual chamber length, handy for certain applications.

K75RT
    (12/21/01 3:39:03 pm)
    I was taught that in order to check headspace the bolt should be disassembled. This is especially true with the Mauser and most of its variants. If checking the headspace on something like a Remington that has the extractor peened in then the gauge should be gently slipped under. The gauges I use are extremely hard and it is doubtful that a bur can be raised.

GSF1200
    (1/8/02 9:12:08 pm)
    I heard the Mauser can be headspaced with the extractor on. Just slip the guage under the extractor

K75RT
    (1/9/02 8:52:12 am)
    You "can" generally slip the gages under most extractors, in my opinion the and my training, the bolt would be completely stripped. Essentially, you would be using only the bolt body which contains the locking lugs. This precludes false reading due to spring tension, extractor tension and most other variables that can effect such an important measurement. It doesn't take but a minute to strip a 98 bolt; I tend to err on the side of caution!
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?