Why Not Colt?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dcriner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

OK, I'm sligthtly biased - I don't like "Rock Island Armory," poaching on the name of Rock Island Arsonal. Ditto for Springfield. I prefer a made-in-USA real Colt 1911 - available in stainless or blued.
  2. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Colt is vastly overpriced for what you get. Yeah it's a pretty gun but the RIA will run everything you put in it right out of the box.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

it's your money get whichever you want
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

So will a Colt and every other 1911 made today.
  5. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Colts are great if you just want to collect Guns, they are 100% American made and made by unionized employees thus the high price it doesnt mean that they are better than other guns.

I have 2 Taurus PT 1911's and they are better fitted and more accurate than my 1978 made series 70 Colt.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The late 1970's were dreadful times for American manufacturing. My father's company car was once a 1979 Mercury Monarch. The heater never worked. The dealer service manager finally told him "You might as well stop bringing it back. We can't fix it!" Great news to get in Wisconsin.
  7. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

No, no they won't. Not out of the box anyway. They might run with hardball but there's plenty that hiccup on HP's and SWC's.
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Not in mine!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Eats everything I feed it............
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

only 1911 i had that was picky was the Kimber , and i was awful suss on that barrel and chamber from day 1 , but gun control came and they all went away ...

nothing wrong with colt , mill spec do have issues with over long rounds , stick to within spec and it'll be A OK , it's a 1911 ...
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

You must know a lot more than I do. Tell me about your experience with non feeding 1911's.

I know years ago that LSWC ammo and hollow point ammo gave problems since the 1911 was designed to shoot 230 gr ball ammo. The manufactuers started throating the barrels, polishing the feed ramp and got away from the problem. Any new 1911,when properly cleaned, with a good magazine should function out of the box.
  11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Other than Baer, Nighthawk & Wilson, I've owned and used just about every make of 1911 there is - including Dan Wesson, STI, Kimber (series 1 & 2), Colt, Taurus, Springfield, Rock Island (and other PI variants), S&W, Sig, and probably others. My current crop is Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Taurus, PI built (American Classic), and a custom built on a Caspian slide/frame.

To say that the Rock Island will do everything any other brand will shows ignorance - the frame & slide are not strong enough for a .460 Rowland conversion for example. To say all Kimbers are overpriced junk shows ignorance as well as I (and many others) have Kimbers that function 100%. The same goes for Colt, Springer and everything else.

A Kia will get you from point A to point B just fine - why is it not the only car sold?

This reverse snobbery is irritating and not justified at all. If I want to pay the money for a Colt, Kimber, or Dan Wesson - why should I not? Am I stupid for not buying another Rock Island? All brands have their good & bad points and all manufacturers produce a lemon now and again - just the facts of life. Do your research and pick the brand that meets YOUR needs and be happy...
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member

Yes they will but first you need to buy Colt if you expect that:D
  13. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I've owned Colts and they didn't run SWC's worth a crap without some work. Not saying you shouldn't buy a Colt. I'm just saying they're overpriced and the RIA will run whatever you put in it straight out of the box. Heck I wouldn't mind owning another Colt, they're nice guns but I wouldn't depend on it like I can the Rock.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Any properly fitted 1911 thats throated with a smooth feed ramp will feed anything. The early colts with unthroated barrels and rough ramps are the reason the 'colt will only feed hardball' rumors exist.

I dont care what anyone says, the best '1911 bangs for your bucks' come from the RIAs, Taurus', Spartans, Citadels, American Classics, etc.. All of which are either brazilian or Phillipino, or as in the case of the Spartan, built in TX on phillipino frames.
  15. yetiman

yetiman New Member

If I liked the Colt and didn't like the RI then that is what I would own, nobody is going to call a Colt a piece of crap....lol.