Why Not Colt?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dcriner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tnhawk

tnhawk New Member

I've got 1911s from Colt, Wilson, Kimber and Springfield. Each of them has worked fine out of the box, using any FMJ or HP round I've put in them.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Hawg, you still haven't answered my question.

Tell me about your experiences with SWC or HP ammo problems in a 1911.

Mine have always fired them all out of the box with no problems. Am I just lucky or something ?? Teach me something if I'm wrong.
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

I have had 3 Colt 1911's my dad had some springfields, a norinco a few Colt's an old Sistema , and I currently have a taurus pt1911 and a rock island frame with colt slide and springfield (2 piece GASP!!) barrel, and a delta elite, I have never had any problems with a 1911 that wasn't due to bad mags or improperly fitted (by me) parts I shoot the cheap (40 dollars per 1k) 200 gr lswc
  4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I think that "original" Colt 1911A1 pattern pistols are probably among the very best 1911's out there. That being said, I dont like the Series 80 and never EVER will. Ive explained a lot of FACTUAL experiences here with FTFs with Series 80 models, and I dont want one. If you give one to me, I will trade it off and buy a Series 70, or any OTHER 1911 "knock off" on the market that DOESNT have the Series 80 internal safety. My personal 1911 is a rather old/early production Thompson Auto Ordinance, and I love it. I wouldnt be afraid of a Norinco, an older Springer, and I personally would sell a Series 80 and buy an RIA in a HEARTBEAT. I used to collect Colts, as did my step-father. Between the two of us we probably owned 200 Colts at one time or another. That was long ago, but I am STILL a Colt lover. But NOT Series 80 1911's.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

When I come across a series 80 Colt, I usually remove the offending internal safety junk and replace it with a Slot Filler from Brownells.
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

They are rare as hens teeth around here but my next 1911 will be a Ruger SR 1911. It is 100% made in America, is really tight for a production gun, and is stainless. It also is about $629.00 plus tax which is more affordable than many of the other names listed in this thread. Warranty and customers service is also superb. Just my 2 cents.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Bought a new Colt Gov 1991 45acp a few months ago... excited to shoot it out of the box... after the first 100 rounds the slide bound up and i had to send it back to Colt to get it fixed... cost me $30 shipping to Colt, and 4 weeks later the gun came back repaired... now the OEM magazines don't work very well, they load 4 rounds then the spring won't push up the rounds... I did some research and found out the magazines are outsourced by Colt and not made by their employees, so I have had to buy a Wilson mag so the gun can fire at full capacity...

Overall, I am glad I have the gun... It shoots really well, feels good in the hand, and carries well at my side... I decided that I might only own one 1911 in my life, and if I did it would be the original... however, i would not buy another Colt if I was fortunate enough to get another 1911...
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Look at the Metalform brand magazines as well. They sell stainless 8-round .45 ones on MidwayUSA and if I remember correctly they cost $19.99, and they have em with the low-profile bumper pad and a regular bumper pad. Or you can get the blued ones w/o the bumper pad for $17.99.

I use em in my Springfield and have had nothing but success. Fully supported follower in em too.

Wilson's I think are ~$35.
  9. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Here's my true story;

In the 70's i purchased a nib colt combat commander that had nothing but feeding problems. I got rid of it. In the 80's I purchased a colt 1911 gov model that also had cycling problems in nickel and i sold that one too. In 1990 i purchased a new SA series 90 and it jammed 1rd per 8rd mag. I had it in the safe for all these many years growing roots.

A few years ago i purchased a used norinco 1911(chinese) and it was going to be my last 1911 if it didn't function. Well the norc showed me what all the 1911 hype is all about. What a dependable shooter it is. Soon after I purchased every DVD i could get my hands on to learn how to tweek, tune and repair the 1911 to keep them running.

My first task was to change the barrel bushing and barrel on my norc. I fitted a new sportsmans guide $59 surp-lus GI barrel and a CDNN $12 national match IAI barrel bushing. My norc even with a tad loose slide shoots 1 clover leaf per 8rd mag now. Since then i ramped the disconnector and added the flgr with 18# recoil spring. My point is my $300 norc with its forged frame and slide is one of my best 1911's now.

After doing all this work and still hammering the dvd's i took out my 1990 nib SA and tuned the extractor. I purchased all the extractor tools from Brownells. My 90's SA functions awesome now.

Seeing now that i can fix the small stuff and get them running i wanted another new 1911. In 2005 i purchased the new Auto-Ordnance army 1911 WW2 model in 45acp for $389. Right out of the box this new 1911 has been flawless for well over 500rds now. Since i was torn between the new AO and the new '05 SA GI Mil-spec as it was called at the time i went back abd purchased the new SA GI Mil-spec too for $424 too. I recently shot the new '05 SA too and its flawless right out of the box too using wold 45acp ball fmj ammo.

My point is if were going to shoot 1911's we better know how to repair the small stuff too. The dvd's surely helped me. My norinco is almost a race 1911 the way it functions/cycles now. I'm glad i never gave up on the 1911. Bill

BTW; On every new 1911 i first clean it and lube it with moly. First i polish the feed ramps and take the finish off the ramps and polish them. I also install the FLGR & 18# recoil spring in all my 1911's too. Then there ready to test fire. For extra mags i get the chip mckormic 8rd mags.

My next new 1911 will be the thompson custom 1911 in 45acp in stainless 5'' barrel.

Lets not forget every colt and every Springer 1911 has a forged frame & slide.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I forgot about this thread, been in and out of the hospital. I've had two NIB 70 series and a new 80 series. None of them would feed a full mag of SWC's or HP's without work on the feed ramp. The mags weren't the problem. Once the feed ramp was polished and the barrel throated they would run. I'm not really knocking Colt but they are overpriced and IMHO can't be depended on to run straight out of the box with anything other than hardball.

As far as cast frames go, there's nothing wrong with cast. Ruger has used cast frames from day one. I wouldn't want to build a 460 Rowland on one but I don't want a 460 Rowland anyway.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The .460 rowland will beat the hell out of any 1911 frame you put it in. Its simply too damn much pressure for the design.

Save it for the ARs.
  12. Taroman

Taroman New Member

Colt?
    I know they used to make 1911s.
    They still do?
    Cannot remember the last time I saw a new one in a gun store.
  13. H-D

H-D Active Member

I saw one today a new stainless commander! wish i had 900 bucks to spare :)
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Big Bill - good info and your a man after my own heart - I have a very old Auto Ord Govt Model and have pretty much done or had done everything you listed for your Norinco, and I prefer the McCormick Shooting Star 8's too. These days, and for MANY years, my AO sports a flat mainspring hosing, polished feed ramp and throated chamber on a VN era GI barrel, with a match bushing, long link, FLGR, 18# spring, and a ShokBuff. I love it, and while I would own 100 1911's if I could afford em, my old AO isnt going ANYWHERE.
  15. jrprich

jrprich New Member

So is the Ruger SR1911