Why Not Colt?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dcriner, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ignats

ignats Member

.460 Rowland 40,000 psi, 10mm 37,500. I have a Colt Delta Elite chambered in 10mm and while I haven't shot it a great deal, I haven't had any problems nor have I heard any. I also have a .460 Rowland conversion set which includes barrel with compensator attached, recoil spring with guide and plug. I had it in a Springfield Armory slide and frame for a number of years. I wouldn't and didn't fire it a great deal, as I have my pistols chambered in 45 ACP but again, I haven't had any problems nor have I heard of any. The conversion set was made by Clark who as I'm sure you know is one of the premier gunsmiths in the U.S. The instructions go into great detail regarding the installation and ammo to be used. The reloading data keeps pressures in the 32,000 to 39,200 range.

Here is a cut and paste regarding the 460 Rowland conversion:

The increase in slide velocity over a standard .45 ACP, or even a .45 Super round, cannot be properly controlled with an increase in recoil spring rate alone. Autoloaders properly converted to fire the mighty .460 Rowland Cartridge require a compensator or a ported barrel to insure reliable, long lasting, operation. This fact not withstanding, there continues to be customer demand for a "Stock-Looking" .460 Rowland Conversion; however, any effort to answer this demand is thus-far not supported by the Inventor. Mr. Rowland still maintains that a properly designed .460 Rowland Conversion requires an effective compensator to momentarily delay slide action until the very high pressures developed by his cartridge dissipate to more manageable levels. Without this compensation, slide or frame failure will result over time and reliability will suffer in the short term. [Citation; Mr. Johnny Ray Rowland
  2. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Why Not a Colt? PRICE

I would love to own a Colt but their prices around here in the PNW are just so far from reasonable. So I bought a Ruger SR1911........it is a great 1911.
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

There was a day when most American products that contained American steel were arguably second only to German or Swedish steel. Sometime, take a ride through Gary, Ind. or other former steel producing areas of this country.

All guns may work adequately when new but what happens after yrs. of use and high round counts? I expect to buy a gun and keep it for a lifetime. Nothing seems to last more than a few yrs. these days, no matter how much you pay.
  4. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Owning two non functioning new colt 1911's in the 70's & 80's drove me to purchase every gunsmith 1911 dvd. I figure it was time to learn how to make them function. I did finally fix my 1990 SA NIB series 90 1 stove pipe per mag, it was the extractor that needed tuning. I did also build my norinco 1911 too. I'm just loooking at colts right now but still gun shy a tad. I think that colt is missing the lower end of the market price wise by not offering an affordable GI model.($500 to $600 price range)

My new '05 auto-ordnace army WW2 copy $389 and my new '05 springfield armory GI-MilSpec model $424 seem to run ammo flawlessly right out of the box. The new AO is up to 500rds now. The SA has a forged frame and slide and the new AO is investment casted 4140HT steel. The quality of the 4140HT steel isn't shabby at all.

Sorry for posting twice but i'm happy i can fix the 1911's now.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Well I am new to the world of 1911, I bought a Taurus PT1911SS. I Love this gun. I could not afford a Colt or a S&W at the time. I will buy another 1911 and it will be an American made one this time ( S&W or a Colt Probably the Colt in SS), but I can't imagine it running any better than my Taurus.

S&W 645
    S&W BG380
    S&W Model 41
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Dan Wesson 15-2 (Canadian Made)
    Savage Mark II (also Canadian made)
    1964 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie
    NAA Pug
    Taurus PT1911SS ( Brazilian Made)
  6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have never been much of a pistol shot. And I never liked the 1911 when I served. I did get reaquainted recently and am becoming a fan, Got me a Citadel and am thrilled. I 'm thinking the argument here is the old thing about ego and money.