Why should it be so complicated.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by army mp, Mar 7, 2012.

1. army mp

army mp New Member

I live in PA, my Grandson lives in New Mexico, and He just turned 18 his mother and dad are not into guns, his brother and sister are pre-teen. I think he has worn his parents down, I have 4 long guns I want to give him.
    Now for the problems, his mom said he could have the shotgun now if he keeps it at a friend’s house, I am not sure I like this idea. Secondly He will be starting college this fall,
    Add to this he is coming for a visit over Easter and flying into Pittsburgh. I can see several hoops to jump threw here. Taking a long gun back with him, I have not flown with a long gun in many years, so it looks like I need to go down the TSA rabbit hole on line, that should be fun. And we have not gotten into New Mexico Gun law. I hate too do it to him, but I am thinking waiting till after College may be the best option. He loves the outdoors and shooting with his friends, just seems there are too many obstacles to giving him one or all these long guns at this time. Any thoughts
  2. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

"at this time" That is the key. Good things usually come to those who wait.
  3. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

You could drive the guns to him, or take the bus or train(I don't know what kind of security either of those has though). Or you could try mailing them to his local FFL. as for storing them, you might get her to compromise and let him keep the guns out in the toolshed or garage under lock & key.

i would under no circumstances advocate flying though. i know, alternative travel is either expensive, exhausting, time consuming, or any or all of the above, but it's worth it to be free.
  4. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

In MHO the storing at the friends house is the weakest link in the whole process. Who are these friends, what kind of supervision will the kids and guns have, who is responsible for the security of the guns, what happens if the friends parents change their mind, move, etc? That is just too lose for my simplistic way of thinking. I suggest the last thing you want is a potentially good experience turning into more of a hassle or, worse, some sort of tragic event. Wait until the guns would be in the direct possession of the grandkids when they are of suitable maturity to properly take care of them.