Why The American Dream Died...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

... and the World Sucks.

Think about it, back in the day "everyone" had their faith in God. That has two serious implications nearly regardless of your faith, level of faith, etc.

1) God does not owe you a thing, anything great you have is awesome, anything bad you deserve.
    2) God is largely intangible.

AKA, no one owes you anything, and so when you do not get anything no surprise! But now today everyone believes in "the government," and this has two serious implications.

1) The government is funded and operated by "you," it owes you everything.
    2) The government is tangible, if it does not give you want you expect, you keep replacing it with a system that does.

Is it any wonder in general people are more pissed off every year? Instead of sometimes getting what you do not expect, now its not getting what you do expect. And can you blame 'em? After all, we ARE funding the monstrosity!

Any advances we have made, technological or social (IE ABOLITION) can be attributed to time and changing opinions, not the system in place. Heck, it was the Northern equality system where the absolute last school being FORCIBLY integrated- the South had already accomplished that.

EDIT: Case in point. I can afford to buy a condo. But I could also get a nearly $10,000 RAISE and STILL qualify for low income, government subsidized housing...
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Ya know, I once went through a 7.9 shaker, wife and I were teachers at an Indian Village.

FEMA came in helped us all get our lines & utilities up and running, greatly appreciated. Actually the govt just sent a few maint crews out with their trucks & supplies. I'd hated making 50 trips of 100 miles to town to keep getting plumbing supplies.

About a month later, fema came back and all the Indians applied for emergency assistance. I told the White guy I couldn't look him in the face and beg like all the Indians did; should have seen the look on the Indians faces. Course the Indians all got checks for 9 gran a month later and they all bought new snowmachines; I didn't but fine by me.

I've never taken any welfare, food stamps, disability, or special entitlements, and don't apply for any loans for my kids tuition, you know what it costs to keep two kids in school (over 3K/month). There are all kinds of people in this country that do for themselves and refuse the freebees. That's what keeps the country going too and why so many from other places around the world want to get here. The American dream is still alive & kicking. I just do my part worry about my own and forget about all the users.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Oh, the dream is still alive - there are just far fewer dreamers.

The dream was having the freedom to see one's labors come to fruition - to own a piece of land, raise a family, enjoy a bit of prosperity, and not have the government breathing all over you. To enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The dream is still alive and well for millions. They are determined to stop the current fraud at 1600 and put things aright. But, there are many more who don't share that dream, never did, never will. They choose to live off the gubmint teat, and know nothing else, and desire nothing else. They are kept citizens, whores of the handout, and today's slaves, by choice.
  4. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I have a fantasy that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. Let the system break, let the lights go out, let the government and the grid grind to a halt. Just for 90 days or so. Oh what a house cleaning that would be.
  5. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    Hey Guys I Hear All of ya BUT

I'm 54 years old 55 next month well March, & AM on Disabilty.
    I got hurt when I was 18,, I worked Hard up till about 2 years ago.
    I Earned my Captains License & Payed in my SS All my life.

I made Top buck for many years & BOUGHT my Home,, Own Both our Trucks & my Motorhome & 32ft Trailer, Guns & Jewlery.

Payed BIG SS & Taxs Also.

There ARE some of us that DO/DID Never take a Hand out (I'm one of them!)

BUT my Doctors have me to point Because of my Back & Knees (My weight Don't help tho)
    That if I continue to do my old jobs Captain & Repo Man
    I'll end up in Worse shape. (I NEVER PLANED TO BE HERE!)

But there ARE people that have payed in what there getting back

I have literaly DUMPED Personal ""FRIENDS"" that are the ""Your a Bum- Get a Job" guys that I KNOW never worked there hole live BUT they Beach!

I'm NOT trying to start nothing here I'm just raising a Point!:rant:Sorry about the Rant :rant:

LOL & on a lighter note
    The Boat yard called me today & asked me to come down & Jockey stuff around,
    While doing it, one was an 86 Foot Yacht, the owner was Aboard.

I Got a GIG taking it Up to ICW* to up around Daytona :)

I'M ALL OVER THAT! If I could I would be doing it Still 24/7 :thumbsup:

Up the ICW* No pounding nice sweet Slow ride! :D

ICW*==== INTER COASTAL WATERWAY (The Bay Ride)
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

86 footer up the ICW...suh-weet. Try not to have too much fun Capt.
  7. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

NEVER---He wants to make STOPS @ night him & wife stay Aboard with there "Hostess" & shes (QUOTE Suh-Weet)
    Im married & a Good Do-be tho ;)

Yea Im sure it will be nice tho I'll grab some Pics next week when we Depart

He asked Me what I wanted "Stocked 4 Me" MY Kind of OWNER!

LOL & he Fired his Old Captain because he SMOKED-- I QUIT 25 Days ago but he said COOL.......:p
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

No disagreements whatsoever. Except, you should be paying into your state and they should be paying out. If they want to participation in some national pool/plan, so be it, but at their discretion. The Federal government can get away with anything because in the current system no one can reasonably stand up and say HECK NO!
  9. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

That sums it up, making the choice to do it on your own. I am 400 lbs. I could get disablility too but as long as I am able i will try to work. But I am 35 when I am 55 like the capt. I will be singing a different tune or dead, I am allready experiencing knee problems. I think the programs are out there for those that need them. My wife has a severe heart condition and can not get on dissability, go figure. but those of us still able should be contributing and productive. I work about 10 part-time jobs to make ends meat. We make half of the Poverty level in income and don't do that bad, but we are in a rural area and live frugally. We have lost the american spirit. the cowboy spirt if you will. I would rather have a little adventure than just exist.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

My brothers, please allow me to clarify - I'm certainly not referring to anyone on disability, or retirement, or a pension, or unemployment - I'm referring to those who choose not to work, the receivers who know only government handouts and food cards and free phones and drive better cars than most of us. We have opined at length on TFF about these folks, those who have never paid taxes and don't even know what taxes are; those who subsist off of the money paid by the rest of us. They're enslaved and don't even know it.
  11. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

Guys I'm Sorry I even said something.

Fleet I got hurt ON a BOAT pulling an Anchor
    (The line snapped & I went Azz over Tea kettle into a Bench & foward bulkhead @ age 17 or 18)
    But as stated I Kept working even my old man
    (a Hard Azz Marine @ points told me he was Proud of me for pushing on.)

I crushed L-3 L-4 & L-5 into a jumbled mess. Seems theres alot of folks on here that have Back problems Just ask one of them They will tell ya there NO Joke!
    Now think how oceans are. There were days weeks even Months that were Ruff as Stuff (Look Im a Poet & dident know it) my back & knees THEY payed for it. I eat a handfull of meds every day HAVE to to keep chugging on.

My point is like FLEET said he is still Young (LOL) Young @ 35 & Makes the CHOICE Not to take SS & as he said his Wife NEEDS & DISERVES it & CANT get it? WHATS WRONG with this PICTURE???? theres "Bums" that TAKE ADVANAGE of this GREAT COUNTRY. Some will some wont.
    Theres something that our "NEW" Goverment should look into!!! :mad:
    Again sorry about the Rant.
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Capt, I wasn't directing this at you either, sorry if I offended.

What gets to me is the huge numbers of Americans that work the system and see nothing wrong with doing so. Our community is rural, not much of an economic base; so people get quite creative in order to have a consistent paycheck, govt paycheck so much the better and don't see anything out of the order of respectability in doing so. We actually have White families in our town that work at getting all their adult kids on disability and are successful after a couple years at it. When you see a perfectly normal person continue to apply for (mental disability) then laugh and call it crazy pay and then apply for all the extended monitary benefits that come with it. Have 7-8 more kids, one/year and fly weekly for free back and forth to Fairbanks for medical issues for one kid at a time (shopping trips). Then they start raising other people's kids for a couple thou in aid/month. I even know one member of this family I know of that moved an older guy (alzheimers patient) on his property,(they actually moved his cabin a mile and set it up). When the old guy's checks come, down to the Post office they go to get 100 dollar money orders which the old guy never sees again. If the old guy's family ever comes to town and wonders where all his possessions are, they can find them all at one persons house. This one family bases their entire economic life on govt checks. I just find it wrong and see it happening too much everywhere I look.

Many years back, I had an injury, have lived with the intense pain for many years. I even returned to school at age 30 and got a degree over the reality that I couldn't do a physical job in the condition I was in, it was expensive and tough to achieve, but I accomplished it. When I go for two weeks of agony, medicated to the hilt, without any sleep because of this past injury, friends tell me why don't you just go on disability. I just can't bring myself to accept it and don't. Again no offense to any members of F.F. Just how I see life.
  13. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Who said it died!Have you ever heard of someone swimming to Cuba.How about crawling under the fence to get to Mexico for a better life.It's not dead.
  14. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

SS and disability and other programs were created because there was nothing for those that fell on hard times through no fault of their own...in theory no fault of their own anyway, but that's a different discussion and probably a heated one.

Is the american dream alive? Go ask ANY immigrant and you'll find it very much is. Too many of us have had it easy - be that from govt handouts or our parents. Too many say 'i'm afraid my kids won't have the standard of living I have' - well, my parents said that too and let me tell you I"m doing WAY WAY better than my parents did by any measure - and so are all my friends doing better than their parents (own houses, multiple cars, tons more 'stuff' in their houses, take vacations, putting kids through college, have health insurance, etc).

Crap happens. I live in Pgh and the steel industry collapsed here 30 years ago creating terrible economic conditions. That was then. Now we're one of the places not suffering in this downturn -hell, there are more jobs than there are people willing to work. Please note I said willing. Whether you blame the govt or something else lots of folks would rather work part time and complain than actually get jobs, work, and advance in life.

Exceptions seem to be ex-military and immigrants seeking the american dream.
  15. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If your interested in why Social Security was first created in 1937, and who did and did not qualify when it was first set up, go to the link.

It's a long read, kinda, but:

http://www.ssa.gov/history/hfaq.html