Why the hole?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by yetiman, Feb 6, 2012.

1. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Sorry is this is a repeat question but I couldn't find it axed befo.......Why on the compact and commander's does the hammer have a hole punched out of it? :confused:
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just for pretty.

On some of them, with the very large hole - "skeletonized" - it's supposedly to lighten the hammer, although I've never figgered out whether that that was to speed up the hammer throw or to diminish the gun shaking from the hammer-fall. But the "cool, gun-gamers" use one, so it's required to be cool.

Kinda like the forward slide serrations. Got no use, but sure-hell looks neat.
  3. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I'll go with the "required to be cool"
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

The 1911 I built only has front serrations I have the square STI hammer, just cuz its so cool :)
  5. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Lighter hammer= faster lock time= greater accuracy.

Lock time is the time between pulling the trigger and the hammer hitting the firing pin, faster locktime better accuracy because the muzzle has less time to move before the round exit the barrel.

But that is not the real reason for it on a Officer's model or Combat model, it makes the gun much easier to draw from under a field coat or Jacket as a officer/General etc. would expect to wear his gun under his coat - except for Patton of course.
  6. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Well I didn't think it would be for a lanyard....lol
  7. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Could it be to make the overall weigh of the gun lighter.????????????
    I realize it would be minimal but just a thought.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It's also required to be able to cock the hammer back all the way on guns which have the beavertail grip safety as opposed to the standard grip safety. That spur hammer doesn't have enough room to cock back all the way if you have the beavertail grip safety.

And as stated - faster lock time. I honestly don't shoot enough that I would notice a difference in accuracy, but theoretically it does contribute to accuracy.
  9. yetiman

yetiman New Member

That makes sense.....
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That does make sense, except, of course, that the stock Officers Model
    [​IMG]

and the stock Commander
    [​IMG]

didn't come with beavertail grip safeties.

[​IMG]

Also the Commander and the Officers Model were never issued to military officers. Military officers (including Generals) don't carry concealed. When worn, the gun is part of the uniform, and is worn openly.

So, while I believe that the "Commander" hammer does aid in concealability, and the rounded, "holed" hammer is necessary for use with beavertails, neither of these is the reason the guns originally came with them. I stick with my "it's pretty".
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Alpo, notice the grip safety. It is the beavertail design ? It's just not the high ride beavertail you see on competition 1911's. Remember hammer bite ? :)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the Commander 1911s had ring hammers so an officer could spot another officer just by noticing his holstered sidearm. Especially useful when the officer is trying to be discreet about his identity in enemy territory where sniping off an officer would be considered an high value target.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

But it does look pretty dang cool huh.
  14. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Why not?:D
  15. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Not True , officers including Generals do carry concealed, Pattons 1903 baby Browning that he carried concealed for many years and all throughout WW2 is on Display at the Military museum in Washington for all to see , of course Patton Also liked to wear his Six Gun outside of his uniform for all to see.
    Many Generals carried concealed.
    Dont believe me visit the US military museum and read up on it yourselves.