why the shortage ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by oscarmayer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just visited a local gun shop as i was wondering around looking at the ammo. i noticed tons and tons of 22,32,9x18 mak, 9mm, 38 in various forms, 40,357, 45 but only 4 boxes of 380. and that was remington 102gr jhp. why is there a 380 shortage ? when all other calibers seem to be easily had.
  2. topper

topper New Member

Just looking on this forum, in the last few months, the 380 ammo seemed to be the one with the most shortages. I do not need 380, but i'm like you, oscarmayer, WTF is going on? Is it going to spread to other calibers as well? I just don't like what I see in the gun shops, as toward some ammo shortages, prices escalating on guns and ammo, and in general a bad feeling about what is on the horizon for gun purchases. Something just don't feel right. Are we in for another round of banning something? I sure hope not.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What I've heard (don't know if it's true, but makes a lot of sense) is that the machinery used to make 380 is the same that is used to make 9mm, just adjusted slightly differently. 9mm has been selling so much that they have not stopped making it, to readjust the machinery to make 380.

I know Winchester does something similar, with 307 Winchester and 375 Winchester and a few others that aren't real big sellers. They only make a run of that ammo once a year. When it's sold out, you have to wait until the next run. Obviously the machinery does not sit idle for the rest of the year. They readjust it and make something else. Since 307 is just 308 with a rim, I suspect, this year, they never shut down the 308 line, so no 307 got made.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok that makes sense, the 380 being made on the same line/machines as the 9mm. i was floored at the amount of 9mm the local store had but yet they had very little 380.
  5. ARB

ARB New Member

Jeez, maybe someone should let the manufacturer know that we're hurting out here. The .380 has been in short/no supply for quite a while. I treat the few .380 cartridges I have as if they were gold.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

There have been several new pistols come out in 380 like the LCP, Taurus, etc and I'm guessing the scheduling hasn't reacted to the increased demand. If you have one then save your brass and start rolling your own.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Nobody has much of anything in this part of the country. Made a trip to Bass Pro Shop yesterday to get some SD ammo in .45cal., and all they had was about 4 boxes of Remington Golden Saber in 230gr., and about the same in 180gr. No Corbon, no Hornady, no Hydro Shocks, nothing that you would depend on. The Golden Sabers were listed on the shelf at $37.98 for 25 rds. I bought two boxes, but paid only $65 at the check out. No 380 at all of any kind. Can't get it at any of the gun shops I shop at. I personally don't buy the "machinery used to make 380 is the same that is used to make 9mm, just adjusted slightly differently", at least not completly. Try buying SD ammo in any caliber. They might have a good stock of ball ammo, in a few calibers, but you just can't hardly find the good stuff in any caliber. I think that we are in for a long dry spell, that just might get a lot drier down the road. Spending lots of money on reloading supplies, and still having problems getting components.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

There is a huge demand around here. I was talking to a local shop owner and he said he has sold more handguns in the .380 caliber in the past year than he has ever sold in the last 5 years. I'm finally starting to see 88-95 grain FMJ and JHP's bullets for reloads start to trickle in. I'm hoping the ammo is soon to follow.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Our Walmart has all you want .....Winchester white box bulk but 34 dollars for 50. Not too cheap.
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Wow, I pay around $20 a box for .44mag and .32 auto, 50 rd. boxes for both. I was unhappy that the smaller caliber cost the same as the one that was around twice the overall size!
  11. durk

durk New Member

I heard that more women are buying and shooting more .380 cal guns.
  12. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

What shortage?
    I have 500 rnds loaded Cast lead and FMJ, 100 rds of XTP.
    150 XTP bullets and 500 of empty brass. I just need primers
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have mag tecs for 20.00 for 50rds and golden sabres for 19.00 for 25rds and some golden sabre +p for 19.00 for 25rds. All 45 acp. I have some hornady 380 critical defense for 21.00 for 25rds. I just cant see marking ammo up that high.
  14. ARB

ARB New Member

Do you ship out of state?
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have plenty of components for .45, .38, .357, and .44 mag/spcl. What I can't find is the .380 components. I have many thousands of rds loaded and ready to go, and I have several thousands of rds ready to load in the calibers listed above. No real shortage on this end, but still looking for more!:D
  16. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never shipped any ammo out of state. I try to keep it for my local customers. I dont stock tons of it either. Costs way too much.
  17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I'll never understand that.Why is less lead and less case and less powder cost more than a 9x19?9x19 Winchester whitebox is $10.99 at our local walmarts.
  18. red14

red14 Active Member

DD, if I ordered some 32 S&W (32 short) from you, how much could you order for me, and what would be my price? You can PM me with the price, if you can.
  19. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

I asked the same question and was told that .380 ammo was never produced in any large numbers (compared to other common calibers). It's still being produced as fast as it was before, but people horde it up like all others, but being produced in small numbers (compared to others) it dries up quicker.

Manufacturers are not going to tool up to increase production because: 1 = The craze will end in time and 2 = They are too busy making everything that they are tooled up to do.