why use cheap ammo for plinking?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Jan 31, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

after readind and studing up on the whole recoil POA and POI issue..im confused :confused:

why would anyone wish to shoot up cheap low powered ammo? it would seem to be such a waste of time...:eek:

1) you sight your favorite rifle in using the cheap low powered ammo..then when its time to hunt you either have to resight in your rifle again because your POI has just changed with the heavier, higher powered shell! or miss all your shots...BUMMER!!

2) has all the time shooting the cheap ammo been wasted? hopefully for self defence you dont leave that cheap stuff in you gun? if not then same problem as above..your self defence shots has just became a loud noise maker because you could'nt hit the inside of a barn with the real ammo! and the cheap stuff just bounces off the perp!!

3) while its fun to shoot up those 3000 rounds that cost the same as 500 rounds of the good stuff..its sorta like drinking whisky...the good stuff goes down mild and mellow..no hangovers or such..the cheap stuff..not only smells bad..but goes down like raw gasoline, explodes in the pit when it finally hits bottom and always comes back up tasting twice as bad! :D

hopefully you caught on I'm funning you all here...:eek::D
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I know you are having fun but....

I like the 150gr SST $28.99, but they are expensive to shoot. So I buy the 150gr FMJ $18.49 to practice with. The POI is the same out to 400 yards, so all is good.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You can do a whole lot more shooting with the cheaper stuff. In my opinion, no time shooting is wasted.

If I remember right, Jim Beam used to get me just a drunk as Jack Daniels but at half the price!
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

Roll your own!
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

+1, you get the best of both worlds, premium components and much cheaper than the premium factory ammo. If you do it right, it will be more accurate than the factory ammo.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I don't know who you are talking to, but if me; those are prices of bullets by the hundred, not cartridges by 20.

The FMJs are just as accurate as the SSTs.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

was aimed at the OP
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And McCormicks Vodka will do it better still at half the price of JB. :eek:
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I used to get Lord Calvert Canadian for $1.75 a fifth, that did just fine. :eek:
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Worst drunk I ever been was on MD 20/20 when I was too young to drink.. Only time I ever had a hangover too. Grape pedialyte works great for easing the hangover away.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I shoot the cheap stuff. Donated wheel weights. Scavenged brass. Cheapest primers. Low velocity loads. BANG!!! I forgot the process of buying centerfire ammo. Can someone remind me how to do that?
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with ya on that 76. Only stuff I ever buy is .22LR ammo.
  13. 76Highboy

JLA, I have to confess something bad to you. I let my .22 cal back stock dwindle down a bit. It's under 8500 rounds. I apologize. I will get her stocked up in double time. Once again, sorry bout that.
  14. langenc

langenc Member

Nothing wrong w/ cheap(er) ammo to get the feel of the gun-trigger pull, sight picture etc. Shoot couple hundred rounds before deer season-off hand, leaning against a tree, kneeling or off a roll of blanket, if in hilly country. Here it is pretty flat and that wont help.

Most deer hunters around here could use some shooting-10, 20 or 50 rounds.
  15. 76Highboy

Most deer hunters around here could use some shooting-10, 20 or 50 rounds.[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, ha. The same in your neck of the woods hu?
  16. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Three things to avoid in life. Cheap whiskey, fast women and slow horses.
  17. RandyP

RandyP Member

I reload so my perspective is slightly different. But the OP asked about "plinking" which the Randy dictionary defines as relaxing, fun, non-serious, recreational shooting. Why on earth would I want to do that with the most expensive ammo I could find?

Even my serious SD practice is done at realistic SD range distance (25 FEET and less) and regardless of ammo I will always achieve the required MOD (Minute of Dead) accuracy that SD shooting entails. Other than verifying its function I carry my HP ammo and practice with FMJ/Plated.

Even for hunting purposes, being able to consistently hit a paper plate at 300 yards 'should' be pretty good enough practice plinking to hone skills over a couple hundred rounds before a trip, ending the session with a box of 20 of the actual rounds that will be used?

How many hunters spend hours and hundreds of rounds practicing each season? At the high cost of rifle hunting ammo. I suspect they are not the majority.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Randy P, I agree with you on this one. Most all of my plinking is done with .22, .45ACP, .44 spcl, or .44 mag. Cheap .22 is for busting steel, or other targets like charcoal briquettes, and paint balls, and I hunt with the cheap stuff too, cause I know where it's going! As to the hand gun ammo I reload my own, so it's cheap, but don't let that fool ya! A 240 gr bullet at 800fps will ruin your day, and it doesn't matter if it's cheap lead round nose, or expensive Gold Dot hollow point ammo. My go to CCW weapons are the .45ACP, or the .44spcl. Most all the hand gun practice I do is at short distance realistic tactical targets. Get off the X, move, and shoot, along with practice on my draw, but I do like to shoot at distance with the hand guns as well, targets out to 100yds. My reloads serve me well.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  19. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

+1 on that!! I dont shoot much 22 so i think the few thousand that i have will hold me for a few more years.
  20. dbach

dbach Member

I have to agree. I load like I'm going to hunt or defend my home with the finished round. I sight my rifles in one time, then only adjust when needed.