Why won't we buy American?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Willie, May 21, 2011.

1. Willie

Willie Active Member

Just went to the store and parked next to a young man in a Toyota Tundra truck. Had a little girl with him and looked like a normal American male. The truck had a fortune in add ons,jacked up etc. But why not American? Don't they see the damage they are doing? Thinking back however, I remember my step-father buying Volkswagons for the family as far back as 1963. Now that is less than 20 years after Germans were killing our GI's as fast as they could. He used to brag about getting married to my mom as a way to avoid Korea. Instant family = different draft rating. I have to conclude that some people don't care about our country much. I buy American all the time. I do love my country and like to show it. I sometimes count at stoplights the ratio of American to foreign. If you do that I promise you will be disapointed. Even with the known quality of our cars some people will just buy foreign anyway. Looks like we lost this battle. Better start learning new languages soon. :mad::mad::mad:
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

My ford says made in mexico all over it. In fact most American named cars and trucks are made with foreign parts. Just fact. Even our steel is foreign. What happens is our scrap steel is collected, shredded, and sent overseas. Then it comes back to us. Sad isn't it? If the govt wanted to really do something to help business stop taxing business, or give them a hand at workiers comp some kind of way. I am not saying to pay for wk comp but give some tax help for employers who are ledgit and pay wk comp. But none of those brain dead politicians have a clue.
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Toyota trucks are made in Kentucky, I believe, or Tennessee.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Some of Toyota is American-owned. I know this for a fact; I own part.

Some of Ford, Chevrolet, etc. is foreign-owned. Most of Chrysler is foreign owned.
  5. Willie

Willie Active Member

I know all these things are true. It has gone to the point where it is almost impossible to buy American anymore. Toyotas made here,profit sent to Japan, Fords made in Mexico,parts from everywhere but here..........This battle has already been lost imo. There are so many ways to confuse the public and make them believe it makes no difference how we spend our money. Foreign firms have been doing this forever. There is probably no way to reverse the trend. But I don't have to like it. I still will not drive around with a foreign name on the front of my vehicle no matter what. And that includes Fiat....err Chrysler. Remember Obama GAVE them controlling interest because we are not capable in this country of building a vehicle as fine as a Fiat. Bull****. Chrysler died because of legacy costs as much as anything else. But people will buy them and THINK they are buying American. Sad story. Ford however has survived and still has a Ford helping to run the company after all these years. Ford and GM are probably as American as we can buy today. At least Those don't sport the names of former enemies on the front. And some of the money and jobs stay here.
  6. ozo

ozo Active Member

[Some Infinity,Sentra,Z's]
    Nissan Titan & Armada
    Smyrna TN [SE of Nashville off I-24]
    I have hauled in many, many loads of
    parts..........from ALL OVER THE WORLD.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. Willie

Willie Active Member

The only thing gov't does for my business is tax the begeebers out of it. No help at all. And if they could figure a way to give it to some foreign interest I am sure they would. But I am in a service business and that would be hard to outsource to our great friend and ally........Pakistan. With friends like this we don't need enemies anymore.
  8. Willie

Willie Active Member

At least that was a job. You know.... one of those things that all of us had at one time. The way things are going we won't need so many parts anymore as no one will be able to buy them anyway. I saw a sticker the other day that said.........." I am going to cling to my guns and religion and you can keep the change." Well said,I think.
  9. ozo

ozo Active Member

At least Ruger still claims to be made in the USA.....
    down to every screw.....
  10. ozo

ozo Active Member

Yeah, Willie, I DID have one then !!!!!
    [At least that was a job. You know.... one of those things that all of us had at one time.--Willie]
  11. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

When the American worker stops demanding that they be paid outrageous wages and benefits for putting out widgets, things will equalize. Until then....

As for Americans buying foreign cars, well, foreign companies for years have been giving consumers what they want, while American car companies have been doing just the opposite.

Where is the F-150 made? That is the most popular truck on the road. Mexico.

And then, there's this:
    http://www.zimbio.com/Ron Gettelfinger/articles/4/UAW Boss Claims F150 Built Faster Tundra WRONG

When you continue to have / allow this "quality" of people run the companies in America, you can't deny there's a SERIOUS issue.

Bottom line: Americans (greedy & lazy) are the problem, as are unions.

And before you ream me out, I have TWO American vehicles in my driveway....the only two I own.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It's hard to buy American today, and very costly.

I sell to the construction trade (plumbing). When we get a job that is 'domestic only', 'buy American', 'arra', etc., it makes it almost impossible to meet the requirements. If you don't deal with it daily, you really have no idea.

Some clauses in these acts state that if 51% of the finished price of the product is done in the USA, it qualifies as 'American made'. WTH!? If a company in the US buys an item for $5.00 from China, and a union laborer spends 10 minutes on finishing it, BAM! Made in USA.:confused: Now we have an item that cost $10.10 to make, and sells for $30.00. Shareholders love that stuff.

The other side of the sword is when manufacturers know a job is 'US' only. What cost 10 bucks yesterday, is suddenly 20 bucks now.:mad: Why? Because they can. Shareholders love that stuff.

Did you know that many steel manufacturers in the US are owned by foreign companies? Sure, the jobs are here, but the profits go offshore. How's that for 'buy' American? Not so pretty is it? And if it's a 'buy American' job, who's paying for it? You and me.:mad:

Corporate America is all about greed. All our laws have made this possible.

If I can buy a better product, from another country, that costs me less, why would I buy American? So some fat cat shareholder gets the extra? And I'm stuck with a lemon? Really?

I'll stop here as I could go on and on and on.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

American cars aren't really all that "American" anymore either. They have most of their parts made in Indonesia or Mexico or some other place outside the United States.

Also, after the Big Three demanded all that tax money from my pocket to satisfy the UAW, I don't see the point in giving them anymore money.

Ford is getting a lot better with the quality of their cars. But GM and Chrysler just aren't "appealing" to me.
  14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I buy American whenever possible and practical. I will pay a little extra for it if it is the same or better quality. But I will not buy junk just because it is from America. I drive a toyota. Why? Because it will last considerably longer and does everything I need it to do.

When I go to the store, I try to buy American, but a lot of times I dont have a choice. Why? In my opinion, it is because CEO's get too much money and foriegn companies get too much help from our government. People talk about American workers costing too much, but look at the amount management gets. Workers are only taking a small part compared to them. It seems funny to me that we allow countries to be able to ship things over here with such abandon and yet they wont allow us to trade that way. And just how do they ship things so well that they can still get them here cheaper than we can ship something accross town?
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I own 2 toyotas and have owned just about every brand of american car there is. People only think they are buying american. If we only bought products made soley in america, we couldnt ever shop at any of the stores in most of our towns. Oh yea, my toyotas? They will probably be running long after most so called american cars are in the junk yard. They were built in america by americans. Doesnt really matter anyhow. About every 60 cents of every dollar in america is borrowed from china or other countries. Buying american cars will only make the unions spend more money. I wish the answer was that easy....
  16. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

NO ONE is worth $38 per hour for slapping out widgets, in this case, cars. On top of that is the benefits and pensions. It's utterly RIDICULOUS.

If the government had actually allowed the failures (GM and Chrysler) to FAIL, we might have actually moved ahead on this. But, in deference to UNION power, the government caved.

Now, the feds are seizing all federal pensions in order to stabilize their debt addiction.

If this type of stuff continues.... well, the meltdown here will make Greece look like a picnic.
  17. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought American in 1968, in a new Red Olds 442.
    Parts came from all over the globe, and it was assembled in Canada.
    I bought American in 1972 in a new Ford F100 pickup that broke down constantly, and chasing it all the way to Division level, Ford refused to make good on all the failures within the warranty period.
    I bought a new Honda motorcycle in 1995. They were built in the US, and most parts (such as the engine) were made here also. It gave me excellent service. The Harley Davidson that I looked at had most parts imported.
    Since Nissan built a plant here in Smyrna TN, I have been buying them. They have given me excellent service, they support the local work force, and the profits go to the shareholders of Nissan America.

It is at the point where no one can figure out HOW to buy American!
  18. Python

Python Former Guest

My Dodge Ram is assembled in Mexico. (Yea, it's a HEMI)
    My Harley is all American (far as I know)
    All my revolvers are American
    XDM - American/Croatian
    Henry Big Boy & Winchester - all American
  19. Willie

Willie Active Member

This is probably the closest answer we can get. If we knew how we could support our country most of us might. But there still seems to be anger at our gov't and laws so sometimes I think buying foreign is almost revenge. I know I have felt this way.
  20. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I noticed that too. When the Fed bailed out the auto manufacturers, a LOT of people who were lifetime customers of those taking the bailout money jumped ship, refusing to purchase from them again.