The Firearms Forum banner

Why would you want AP rifle ammo?

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Charles_Daly 
#1 ·
I'm not saying you should not have it. I think anyone should be able to have any type of gun or ammo they want (and can afford to buy).

So if you want it, that's wonderful.

I just wonder - why?

It's no good for hunting. I shoot steel targets. Can't use it on them. Can't use it in an indoor range.

Now, I've got (I think) about 500 rounds of Chinese 308. That Norinco AP ammo that was coming in, until Slick Willie outlawed its importation. I got it as part of a "multi-gun, mucho-ammo" purchase. If it had not been part of the "lot" I was buying, I would not have bought it. I just - see no need for it.

So it sits in my ammo stash. It's been sitting there about seven years.

Now, if I had some type of display - if I took my Garand, and had a cartridge belt and a couple of bandoliers, a WW2 uniform complete to steel pot, field pack and bayonet, and a manikin, I'd dress the manikin in the uniform, hang the belt around his waist and the bandoliers cross-body, and fill it all with clipped AP, 'cause that's what he would be using, and put my M1 by him. But since I don't have this display, I just shoot M2 ball in my Garand.

Now, apparently, many people want the AP, as it seems to have sold out at CMP quickly.

I just - don't understand why.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not saying you should not have it. I think anyone should be able to have any type of gun or ammo they want (and can afford to buy).

So if you want it, that's wonderful.

I just wonder - why?

It's no good for hunting. I shoot steel targets. Can't use it on them. Can't use it in an indoor range.

Now, I've got (I think) about 500 rounds of Chinese 308. That Norinco AP ammo that was coming in, until Slick Willie outlawed its importation. I got it as part of a "multi-gun, mucho-ammo" purchase. If it had not been part of the "lot" I was buying, I would not have bought it. I just - see no need for it.

So it sits in my ammo stash. It's been sitting there about seven years.

Now, if I had some type of display - if I took my Garand, and had a cartridge belt and a couple of bandoliers, a WW2 uniform complete to steel pot, field pack and bayonet, and a manikin, I'd dress the manikin in the uniform, hang the belt around his waist and the bandoliers cross-body, and fill it all with clipped AP, 'cause that's what he would be using, and put my M1 by him. But since I don't have this display, I just shoot M2 ball in my Garand.

Now, apparently, many people want the AP, as it seems to have sold out at CMP quickly.

I just - don't understand why.
I'll pay you for some of that AP ammo in .308. Why do I want it, SHTF situation. It's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it, and not have it!

#6 ·
The current US Government want's you a serf. To shut up and do as your told or else. They'll tap your phone for no reason what-so-ever, read your emails, make life hard on you via the IRS if you think differently from them, detain you indefenatly if they choose, even murder you with a drone.

And you ask why anyone would want AP rounds??????????

#8 ·
Sorry guys. I've got all kinds of stuff that, while I might not have bought it (if it was just IT that was for sale), I don't sell it.

That pack-rat mentality.

#11 ·
Alpo, youre a smart guy.. The desire to stock up on LAP has more to do with the eventual enemy wearing body armor than anything else. Its already bad enough they'll likely have Select fire weaponry while were all stuck with out semi autos, at least we should be lobbing the same type of ammo in their direction don't you think?

#15 · (Edited)
hunting steel targets? :)
That's pretty much why I have it. It'll go right through ½" steel plate :D I won an on-line auction for it with an option for up to 8 boxes on stripper clips or not. I then immediately asked folks here and in another forum I belong to if anyone else wanted some at the very good price I got it for. Bought 40 rounds for me and an additional 80 rounds for two other guys. As soon as it got here, I shipped them theirs. :)

#16 ·
That's pretty much why I have it. It'll go right through ½" steel plate :D I won an on-line auction for it with an option for up to 8 boxes on stripper clips or not. I then immediately asked folks here and in another forum I belong to if anyone else wanted some at the very good price I got it for. Bought 40 rounds for me and an additional 80 rounds for two other guys. As soon as it got here, I shipped them theirs. :)
Nice. But much to my surprise, when I tried my new .243 with standard off-the-shelf ammo from Walmart, it punched nice holes through 1/2" steel, too. :D

I didn't know it could do that...

#23 ·
For one thing, AP rounds are heavier. TWO reasons this would be desirable:

1. The higher barrel twist rates shoot heavier ammo better.

2. Lighter rounds shed velocity much faster than heavier rounds.

But yeah, my normal response to "What do you NEED"

FAQs is:WELCOME to the United States of America!

How are you enjoying your visit?

#26 ·
I guess the best way to answer the question is with a question. What is your firearm for??? If you say only sporting uses then no you have no need for it.
If you realize that the second amendment was meant to be a check on government power, and that citizens can and should be prepared to fight tyranny or invading foreign armies or street gangs, then the need for it becomes self explanatory.
If you have any thought of prepping, or for WROL, or any of the thousands of posibilities that civilians could need use force, then you know why you want to have AP ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.