Wicked Wadcutters

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carver, Mar 21, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

this has been my personal preference for years. i believe there to be nothing more effective as a defence round than a .44 special loaded with full wadcutters to about 700 fps.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

They are about all I use around the house, and all the stock piling I'm doing on the ammo is mostly in DEWC's for .38/357mag, .44spl/44mag. Loading some LRN for the semi-autos.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes, and they work wonders on rabbits in that caliber JLA. 700-750 fps in 44spl is a great round with a wad cutter.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much a .45 ACP equivalent with a bullet thats all meplat. Makes an audible splat when it hits a soft target.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another of my favs is an inverted HBWC. Like wicked hollowpoints.
  7. H-D

H-D Active Member

Good article , I have a loaded mag of .45acp in my bedside 1911 I feel like it is adequate to the task and its put a couple hundred down range with no problems, I can't afford to test a lot of hollowpoints at a buck a pop , I shot a box through it and it fed them all and went Bang, but I know that if I can ding a 8 inch circle at 15 yds offhand I can put one " between his pockets" in my house
  8. carver

carver Moderator

Some of the different types of wadcutters. Keith Style wadcutter, Double Ended Wadcutter (DEWC), WFN wadcutter(wide flat nose), and the HBWC (hollow base wadcutter). I like them all, and there are many other shapes out there to choose from. These are the ones I like the best. The wider the meplet (the front end of the bullet), the less penetration you get. That's why Keith shaped his the way he did. His bullet created a large wound chanel, and yet gave more penetration than a DEWC, which created a larger wound chanel, but did not give the penetration that Keith was looking for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. mikld

mikld Active Member

My "house gun" has been loaded with 148 gr. DEWCs, cast from wheel weight alloy, over a stiff load of W231. I think I have good tissue damage with good penetration without bullets continuing beyond target (over penetration danger to neighbors)...

BTW: In the '80s hollow based wadcutters loaded backwards were the fad for reloaders until an article was written about how well they worked. Extensive testing showed that the wide "hollow point" would just collapse, some came apart/skirt tore off, or clog with clothing and act like a solid. Rarely did one open as expected (it had to be a straight on shot to bare gel). Of course I tried it and got so-so results (didn't use gel but wet newsprint), and most collapsed and came apart. Fair accuracy to 10 yards but shotgun type patterns beyond that.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012