wierd things...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you catch yourself doing when bored...

Today, actually about 2 hrs ago, i found myself at my workbench, seeing if it was possible to re-form a .357 sig case back into a .40S&W case using the expander plug out of my 9mm die in the .40S&W die, then again with the .40 expander plug, then a run through the resizing die.... What a dork i thought to myself once i realized what i was doing. But it indeed works, Takes for fricken ever but it works... Who'd a thought:rolleyes:
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Uh, things a little slow in the shop today? :)
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I would have thought it.

I have turned 44/40s into 38/40s, and then back into 44/40s.

Made 308s out of 243s, and vice-versa.

Just takes time, patience, lube and boredom (or cheapness).
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

You could just fireform it with a dummy load. I used to use Bullseye, cornmeal and a wax plug to form obsolete military cases.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I've formed and annealed 30.06 brass to 7.7Jap out of necessity and cheapness but dang JLA. How bout underwater basket weaving? that may cure the boredom. :D
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not slow at shop, just fricken bored. waiting on tumbler to finish PD range pick-ups. I love free brass;) I made some .308 cases out of 8mm mauser cases, loaded them with a reduced load and a 110 gr sierra HP for a friend. He freaked out when he opened the bolt after firing and the cases said 8mm mauser.:D "whattaya tryin ta do, blow my gun up?!!!" he said, me laughing then 'splained' the process to him after telling him hes the one that didnt check his ammo. ha ha. whatta putz.:)

Dunno about weaving baskets under water Helix... Might revoke my man card for that. I did drink a beer under water once.. Now that is incredibly hard to do without drowning....:eek:
  7. mikld

mikld Member

There are times when "I wonder if..." or "What would happen if..." pop into most men's minds. I get them often from my early training in how to simplify machine operations. I've followed many such ideas, some work some dont. If I share some of them I usuall get "Just buy the part intended for that" or "Don't try that, it's a waste of time," or the one I hate; "You can't do that". Sometimes a man has just gotta know... :confused:
  8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

OMG!!! :eek: Duuuuude! I can't find factory 8mm Mauser ANYWHERE & you're makin .308 cases out of 'um?!!! :confused: :p

Stretchin 357sig cases out to .40s&w cuz you're bored? I'd hate to have you for a cell mate! :D :D :D (LaughingMAO)

Who loves ya JLA...... :D

SR
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

When you have about 5 years worth of crap packed away to 'experiment' with, ones mind stimulating possibilities are endless;) You needn some 8mm mauser? I have some fired brass and factory ammo. I was saving it for the day I get my kraut mauser back goin again but I can make 8mm mauser brass from my excessive supply of .30-06 brass Ifn that day ever comes:rolleyes:
  10. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

JLA - PM sent.

SR
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have made 9x18 Makarov out of 9mm Luger brass but that is the extent of my inspiration.