The Firearms Forum banner

wife has weak fingers

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  BETH 
#1 ·
I am about to get the wife her own .22 to join our boy and I at the range. I am pretty much sold on a Marlin 60 tube feed. a clip is out of the question as she has trouble removing them from my 10-22 and Kyle's Norinco JW15. she borrowed a 60 and is happy except for the small bolt handle.
is there a way to make this easier for her to pull the bolt back? maybe some kind of extension?

#2 · (Edited)
Maybe try a different way of pulling it back? Like, instead of the index finger, maybe have her try using her pinky. I've seen people try out weird ways to pull back the heavy bolt on an SKS. Not just overhand or underhand. If that doesn't work, there are oversized "charging handles" out there. Some are a direct replacement for the Marlin 60, some fit many applications and you screw it on and over. A little bit more leverage will make it a lot easier.

#4 ·
she does not have to use the tips of her fingers tell her to try different ways of moving bolt-between index finger and middle finger between thumb and index and she can use the palm of her hand to pull back bolt when i get home i will see how i do it on my rifle and let u know

#7 · (Edited)
Beth, the 60 is a semi-auto.

68, yes there are oversized charger handles you can get. Search (a popular online gun auctioning website that is filtered out by the forum) listings.

Or just get some JB weld and an empty case that fits on the bolt.
I have .45 case on my Marlin 795. A guy in another forum used a .30-30 just having to cut the neck down a bit to fit. That would give you an even longer handle.

#11 ·
It's light enough not to cause a problem with the bolt. Good idea, I like it!

#14 ·
On my brother's 795, I pull the bolt back with the right side of my right hand to lock it into place and close the bolt with my thumb. If your wife has carpel tunnel, like my mom has, perhaps a longer bolt handle would be appropriate. I kinda like the idea of a pistol or rifle case wielded to the handle, simple and effective.

#15 ·
I chose a tube feed for my wife's .22. I wanted a bolt action, and instead of loosing, damaging, or difficult for her to insert/remove magazines, I opted for a Marlin 981T. She has no trouble opening the small bolt with her hand flat beside the action and raising up against the knob, and loading is a breeze with the tube feed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.