wife wants a carry, special circumstances involved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

she has expressed desire to carry a handgun at times. more for visual deterrence than anything although she does want to take it to the range with me and our son. her birthday is Monday and I would like to surprise her with one along with an hour at the local indoor range.

problem is she has weak hands and back due to fibromyalgia and ankylosing spondilytis.

I want/need it to be as reliable as my old truck and fairly inexpensive. she is also getting a high dollar digicam.

I was thinking a S&W model 22 but I've heard rumors.

whatcha think?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I suggest that you have your wife get her hands on as many different guns as possible, and shoot them. Then let her pick what she wants. Read this article, writen by a woman. http://corneredcat.com/What_Gun_for_a_Woman/ When my daughter was 13 she was shooting a .44 magnum, the most powerfull hand gun in the world, at that time.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

4. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

68c15

You said she wants a gun for carry, "more for a visual deterrence".

What do you mean. Please!!

UF
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

The "visual deterrence" statement has me concerned too. Displaying/flashing a gun does you no good. In fact, it can get you IN a whole mess of trouble (legally and physically). Learning how to draw and place an effective shot is what gets us out of trouble. Alot of the time, confidence in your skills and situational awareness is what can keep things from even getting that far.
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

WHAT SLABSIDE SAYS.

+1

UF
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I never let anyone see my carry gun. I carry a J-frame revolver at all times, which I find more reliable than a semi-auto (I had really bad luck with my first semi-auto carry gun). The smaller revolvers are pretty impressive.
  8. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Carver is completely correct !
    Do you have a gun store in your area that has a range connected to it ? If needs be offer to rent some of the guns they have for sale .... that way she can compare one make and model with another ( and you can watch her shoot, see her reactions ).
    The important thing is that she's comfortable with HER gun .
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Right on. A S&W 642-2 lives in my pocket. I would forget my keys, wallet or cellphone before that piece of survival gear was missed. Always there. Always ready. Never jams or misfeeds.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess you stopped carrying your EMP?
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I did, but only because the EMP is gigantic to try to conceal. :D I have a fabulous Smith 36 that I carry daily, it's lighter and even though it's not really smaller, it isn't as 'printable' as the EMP. Still love that Springfield, it's one of my best shooters.
  12. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

My wife is looking to get her CC permit this spring, she has elbow/shoulder/neck problems so it's been problematic finding the right pistol for her. She nixed the .40 and the 9mm so we're looking at either a small .32 semiauto or a .38 special next.
  13. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

We've been looking at the walther ppk/s in .380, for ashley. Although I wouldn't call it inexpensive.
  14. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I had my spine fused in my low neck, it's important to shop around. Some models/brands are better than others.
  15. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I had a lot of trouble with that model, which I purchased new in 2008. It went to Smith & Wesson twice, and returned to me even worse both times.
  16. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Just my opinion, but you can do more damage throwing a .32 at someone than shooting them with it when you are talking semiauto. I haven't messed with any .327 Mag revolvers, but heard from a local gunstore owner that he felt they too were lacking.

Oh, about forgot my other input. I would rather go with a .22 Mag than a .32 semiauto. Heard those new Gold dot...think that is right...self defense rounds are pretty nice in .22 Mag.
  17. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Before you buy your wife a gun, have a long conversation with her about it. You probably know her best, and you may already know the answer, but no one should shoot to stop a BG. She must be willing to take the persons life, without thinking about it.

If she hesitates when you ask her, discourage her from having one. Hesitation when something goes down, could cost her, and you, dearly.

I understand the feeling of fear, and wanting to protect herself. But the outcome does not have to automatically be a good one.
  18. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I agree. It took me years to decide to get a carry permit, truly.
  19. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

JMHO, but based upon your post I'd suggest a couple of courses of action. First - and IMO foremost - get her to a good training class- preferably one conducted by a woman - where she can be instructed in the use several "range guns" to help her decide which is best for her. But, most importantly, she needs to someone familiar with her psyche to help her adopt/adapt to a "warrior mentality" !

Your lady needs to recognize - bone deep in her soul - when she decides to "pull iron" the time for "mommy" thinking is past ! Legal issues aside, threatening today's perp will just get you shot first ! And that teenager will kill you just as dead as his daddy would !

Please, please think of the cost of this as a one time "insurance payment" that you pray she'll never have to use, but having the right mind set/training will incrrease her chances of survival ! And isn't that what she- and you- want ? >MW
  20. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

the search is over. she bought a Taurus 738TCP. nice medium frame with easy slide and manageable recoil. it's too small for my hands but fits her quite nicely. we went to the LGS indoor range for a pre-dinner shooting and she handled it pretty darn good. after 12 rounds her hand started getting tired and weak but the first 6 went smooth and within 2" of center mass at 25'. I feel confident she can defend herself or my family if I am not there.
    another thing, we had "the talk" at dinner. down deep she does think she could do what ever is necessary and I truly believe in her. her Dad trained her on hand-to-hand defense. some of the things her Dad taught her makes me think I would rather be shot.