The Firearms Forum banner

Wife's Grandfather's rifle

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
Hello,
Well my wife gave me this when we moved and I am unsure what it is. I tried various Google searches and images with no luck. I am attaching a few photos to help. I took one next to my M44 Mosin Nagant for size reference. Thanks in advance for help!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep, In WWI the Italians ran very short of rifles, so they took 1870's single shot, black powder Vetterli rifles, sleeved the barrel, modified it for a magazine and presto, a magazine fed 6.5X52MM combat rifle to fill in some of the shortcomings.

#6 ·
If you want to see something that is not common, pull the bolt on the Vetterli and check the bore from the breech end and then check it from the muzzle end. It should have what is called "Gain Twist" rifling. (It is very evident when compared from each end.) The rifling starts with a slow twist and gradually speeds up to the muzzle. I believe this was an attempt to manage the pressure on the old action by giving the bullet a little easier trip down the barrel to start with .

#7 ·
If you want to see something that is not common, pull the bolt on the Vetterli and check the bore from the breech end and then check it from the muzzle end. It should have what is called "Gain Twist" rifling. (It is very evident when compared from each end.) The rifling starts with a slow twist and gradually speeds up to the muzzle. I believe this was an attempt to manage the pressure on the old action by giving the bullet a little easier trip down the barrel to start with .
Thanks!!

#9 ·
As to what it's worth, ohh, in real decent condition, I'd guess maximum $300 to a collector who really wanted one. Ammo isn't so easy to find for them and not cheap. It's a neat old piece of history for sure and, if I ever was given one, I would clean it and oil it and hang it on my rifle rack. I'd get ammo for it and shoot it too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.