1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wilammette River Goose, and Duck hunt.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Chinook, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Got out to do a little Goose, and Duck hunting on Oregon's Willamette River, just above the falls in Clackamas County.

Set out a small spread of Mallards, Wigeon, a Wood Duck, and a couple Bluebills. Along with a few magnum Canada Goose Floaters set way outside.

Up close it looks a little something like this. You can see the front of my drift boat, with a little blind netting to pseudo-conceal the rig. It does a good job, 'specially when I stay low while the birds work the decoys.
    [​IMG]

Very little calling needed for the Canada Geese on this stretch of river... I always cluck at the geese as they commit, and dump into the deeks. Kind of a reassurance cluck. Really soft on the reed/s... But thats all really. The geese came in today as a sole fleet of about a half dozen. Out of 6 or 7, I dropped the 3 closet to the me as they came in!
    [​IMG]

I dunno, Im not the greatest waterfowl caller, but not making a ruckus, or calling too much, on interested, or "working" ducks, really seems to get the birds in close. They at least buzz the flight deck, and come across a shoot lane normally! If not set down in your spread all together! Two pairs came in feet down, cupped, and both were busted before they hit the deeks. I was on top of 'em today! One had a bonus duck in it too! Heres the Mallards!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fleet of fowl for today... I ended up jump shooting two smaller Ringneck too, on the motor back to the boat slide...The ducks on top of the far left Hen mallard, and the goose...making it a legal limit of Ducks in OR for me today. One goose short of the "double down!" Fun day, great hunting, and decent weather to boot! Cant ask for more!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011