1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Wild Game Brine

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by donloftus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. donloftus

donloftus New Member

I'm a big fan of brining antlered game, upland game and waterfowl before cooking or freezing. It replaces the blood with a slighlty sweet, slightly salty liquid. Dissolve 1 cup each of kosher salt and brown sugar in 1 gallon of water. Soak the meat in the brine overnight and then pat dry. I'll then rub with olive oil and seasoning before cooking. makes a huge difference.

Also...don't cook the good cuts from antlered game and waterfowl past medium rare. It'll really make it tough and chewy unless you turn it into pot roast or stew.

I've learned alot from The Sporting Chef. I watch his TV show every week and bought his cookbook. If you don't want to buy the book, you can get most of his recipes free at www.huntfishcook.com
  2. killbuck

killbuck New Member

Thanks for the Brine recipe. I never brined wild game before usually just fowl. I'll give this a try this fall.
    Enjoy the day.