wildcat cartridge info

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kelticcat, May 26, 2005.

1. kelticcat

kelticcat New Member

wildcat cartridge info request

hello all,heres hoping that some among you have information regarding a rifle that i purchased a while back,its an interarms mark x mauser 98 magnum action, chambered for 358/300 its a hand loaded cartridge ,based on the win 300 mag.necked out to 35 cal. with a 250 grain hornady its pushing 2900 fps with 79.5 grains of imr 4350.the only info i have is the name "HARP" 358/300 ON AN OLD BOX OF BRASS.any info on this rifle the load developer or the load would be appreciated! its a nice weapon and packs a real wallop..just would like to know some history......thanks!......kelticcat. :)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I can't find a single piece of info on it. The only thing close is the 35 Sambar wildcat, but this is based on the 300 WSM case, not 300 Mag.

Another one close is the 35-338 which is based on the 338 Mag case.

Sorry, but looks like you have one of a kind according to my books and searches. Nothing comes up with 'HARP'.
  3. kelticcat

kelticcat New Member

well...this is the same scenario that i have been dealing with lol..but i certainly appreciate your looking into it sir! thank you! :D
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

If you will PM me case/ chamber dimensions, I'll try to help; the .358 Norma Mag sounds like another name for this round, assuming it's 2.520", or thereabouts, long.
    If you do not have JJ Donnelly's "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", it sounds like you are about due to buy a copy!
  5. kelticcat

kelticcat New Member

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE!...BUT AS FAR AS BEING A NORMA..THAT PARTICULAR CARTRIDGE, NOW IS BASED ON THE 338 WIN CASE NOT THE 300...LIKE I SAID I HAVE FOUND NO INFO WHATSOEVER ON THIS SPECIFIC LOAD VARIENT...THE CASE LENGTH IS 2.570 AND OVER ALL LENGTH IS 3.350,THE CURRENT HUNTING LOAD IS A COMPRESSED POWDER LOAD OF 79.5 GRAINS IMR4350.BULLET IS A #3525 HORNADY ROUND NOSE@250 GRAIN,AND #215 FEDERAL MAGNUM PRIMER. THANKS ! ...KELTICCAT
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  6. Raptor08

Raptor08 New Member

That rifle sounds real familiar. About thirty years ago a custom gunsmith (my dad) built the same rifle for me. It was based on the Mauser 98 and uses the 300 Win Mag for the parent case. The cases are sized to accept a .358 bullet. I use the some of the same load data you are using. My reloading dies are marked with ".358 Apollo". Apparently this was a wildcat that was developed in the 60's by a man who was going to try to market this as a new highbred hunting round but was unsuccessful. My rifle has taken a few elk. I don't normally hunt deer with this round as they (the deer) have a tendency to explode upon impact. When I reload this round I use the .358 Norma hot loads as my starting point and work up from there. I have had a good deal of success with this rifle and intend on shooting it for a long time to come.
  7. kelticcat

kelticcat New Member

RAPTOR,THANKS FOR THE INFO! MY RIFLE IS BASED ON AN INTERARMS BRAND MARK X MAUSER 98 ACTION,SO THERE DOES APPEAR TO BE A SIMILARITY THERE.MY LOADING DIES ARE RCBS BRAND AND ARE SIMPLY MARKED 358/300. I HAVE TO AGREE ON THE WHITETAIL ISSUE,WITH 200 YARD ENERGY EQUIVALENT TO A 375 H&H ITS KIND OF HARD ON' EM LOL MUCH BETTER SUITED FOR ELK MOOSE OR KODIAK.I GOT A REAL APPRECIATION FOR THE 35 CALIBER USING A MARLIN LEVER GUN CHAMBERED FOR .35 MARLIN ON DEER FOR YEARS WITH GREAT SUCCESS. AND A FRIEND ASKED IF I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE 358/300 AND I BOUGHT IT RIGHT AWAY.BUT HE COULD NEVER OFFER ANY IDEAS AS TO THE ORIGINAL BUILDER.THERE WERE A LOT OF BIG GAME RIFLES MADE UNDER THE MARK X NAME BUT NEVER A 358/300 THAT I KNOW OF.ANYWAY,ITS NICE TO HEAR FROM A FELLOW 35 CALIBER FAN!:)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  8. Raptor08

Raptor08 New Member

Kelticcat,
    I spoke with my dad again today and he informed me that "HARP" is most likley name of the gunsmith who built the rifle and what you have is probably a .358 Apollo wildcat. He would know for sure if he had the shoulder angle on the casings. It's a great rifle that was built in Rathdrum Idaho. When mine was built I immediatley named it "Bertha". This stems from the name allied soldiers gave to the german rail guns of World War II. I now have a Houge overmolded stock on mine with a built in recoil pad. This makes the recoil a little easier on these old bones. If you would like a list of loads that have been worked up for my rifle let me know. Nice talking to a fellow .35 cal owner....Raptor08
  9. bentcross

bentcross New Member

Hello Kelticat; in reference to that Harp 358/300. That gun was made by a man named Harrison Taylor Harp. He lived in Macon Ga. He is my grandfather. Kelti i was hoping you could help me out because I have the same gun and was wondering if you just shoot the 358 norma mags out of it. Makes me wish i had paid more attention to my fathers ramblings about these guns.
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Holy Crap! A seven year old thread?
  11. mfulton

mfulton New Member

I just read this and thought I would answer after the fact. I own an original Apollo rifle in this cal. If you still own your 358 I can provide loading data. The performance of the 358 Apollo is on par with the 375 H&H mag.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013