Will bullet hardness decrease barrel leading?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Feb 18, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Will the harder bullet cause less barrel leading? or does the harder bullet and the lube work in tandem to help prevent leading?
    I am asking because when I cleaned the barrel after my test firing of my cast 158 grn swc. A tiny bit of lead came out (tiny specs). More lube or do I need a harder bullet?
  2. ACC

ACC New Member

leading

Frosty:
    you need a harder bullet,lube is for lubing the rifling,use the blue lube,not rooster red. also, think of me being crazy, but when i shot lead,i used to plug up one end of the barrel, put some orange juice in it,and plug the other end. leave it overnight,you would not beleive the crap that will come out. it will not hurt anything because orange juice is a mild acid. and then all my stainless pistols would go in the dishwasher,with two scoops of tang,come out bright and clean.the wife stopped me from doing it
    really made dish washer dirty.
  3. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

ROFL, that would be a great show . . . "Cooking with Ammo" will showcase how to use kitchen appliances and everyday food items to your cleaning advantage
  4. ACC

ACC New Member

JR:
    you're to much (lol):D
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Are you asking this question based on the fact that you have fired one round? Lead in the barrel is normal. Excessive amounts is not. Just as when you shoot copper jacketed bullets, you get copper in the barrel building up along the lands. Shoot 50 rounds and see what happens. Then you'll know if there is a problem. You can handle it in two ways.

1) Decrease velocity
    2) Find a different powder.

Look on the base of the bullet you recovered. See if the base started to melt. If so, then the later is the problem. If not, then the former.

Get yourself a Lewis lead removing tool.
  6. frosty

frosty New Member

Sorry Plano, I guess I am a little anxious about the leading. A little overly worried about what is normal. Its all new to me (casting) and the results of what comes naturaly. I will try a new powder.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Frosty,
    Before going out and buying a new powder, make up a box of 50 and then fire all of them. Trying to get data out of one round fired cannot happen. As I said, lead in a barrel firing lead bullets is just as normal as getting copper out of a barrel firing copper bullets. It is the cumulative amount that matters. One round don't count! Glad to see your having fun though! :D :D :D :D :D
  8. frosty

frosty New Member

It is fun, it is the challenge of finding and pursueing the best and use of my casts. I already had the red dot and the power pistol in my stocks.
    Here is a list of my current powders.....

WW 231
    WW 296
    Power Pistol
    Tite group
    Universal Clays
    Red Dot
  9. suryevor

suryevor Guest

some lubes help with fouling, with some

alloys, barrels, calibers. Mostly, tho, it's a question of velocity and hardness of the bullet. Tin makes it harder, antimony helps the tin "bond" with lead, and antimony also helps the alloy fill out the mold better.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2004