Will some semi-auto long guns be reclassified by ATF edict?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by nmckenzie, Dec 5, 2012.

1. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Just ran across a Fox News on-line story to the effect that what's his name may be considering an end-run around Congress, by having ATF declare certain semi-auto arms (no doubt ARs, AKs, Uzis etc.) as readily converted to full auto, and thus prohibited from sale/transfer without a full auto tax stamp. Wish I knew how to cut and paste the story & video, but you'll find it at video.foxnews.com.../video-obama-trying-to-ban-semi-automa. Anybody heard any other chatter along these lines?
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Saw the same story. I keep tellin' y'all here that it's not direct attacks on the Constitution and Bill of Rights that we ought to worry about. It's the regulatory power thru agencies like BATF, EPA, etc. that's the problem. It's been going on for years, but nobody pays attention to the regulators.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

nmc,

All this has been bandied about for some time. Its a given the "progressives" - and the President - can't find sufficient support for any sort "gun ban" in Congress. Its just possible they might try to pursue the same objective by regulatory fiat via the BATFE.

As posited in the Fox article, semi-aulto (i.e. self loading) would be declared NFA Class 2 weapons requiring a background check, registration and a $200 tax stamp for legal possession. Personally, I think this is a scheme that could work if imposed incrementally. That is, only new sales of selected types of this new class of firearms would be initially affected. Current owners of semi-auto rifles and pistols would be granted an "amnesty period" to register their existing arms without a tax penalty.

Certain classes of firearms like .22RF long guns and shotguns would be exempted; at least initially. But - if history is any guide - all subsequent sales/transfers gifts or bequests would require the recipients incur whatever tax and regulatory rules in force at the time.

IMO this process might just pass a SCOTUS muster - particularly when its likely our current president is going to get the opportunity to nominate one or more justices. How its going to be received by the majority of Americans is another matter. >MW
  4. jimisbell

jimisbell New Member

If they think that might reduce the number, they would be mistaken. Many would go into hiding and others would pay the $200 and then convert the SA to FA. Might as well if you are going to have the tax anyway!
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think that will happen. Senators and Representatives, regardless of party, are very jealous of their prerogatives and that action would be a clear takeover by the president of the legislative function. The story might be a trial balloon, or just a rumor (like the recent WH "plan" to have the president take over the power to increase the debt limit).

That, if it was a trial balloon, didn't fly very far and the WH (of course) denies that it even thought of such a thing. I think this idea will be shot down as well. I suspect that Obama would like to become a dictator, and take over all legislative, executive and judicial power, but he won't be able to do it without a fight and opposition from powerful members of his own party, not to mention that portion of the public that is not totally in his thrall.

Jim
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Absolutely. I'll pay the tax and get the conversion kit. Then if something else comes down (attempt to confiscate), I'll do something else.