Will this work?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by FTK87, Feb 16, 2010.

1. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I was wondering if I would be able to tumble brass that has a fresh primer in it. I wouldn't think the walnut would harm it, but figured I would see if anyone else has tried this.

Thanks, Kyle
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

If youlre talking about just sized and primed brass, I wouldn't do it. There's a chance of media lodging in the flash hole. loaded rounds I run through all the time to clean off lube.. I'm sure someone will be along to advise against it due to possible detonation but I've never had a problem and I know others do it as well.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

listen to howlnmad thats exactly what will happen, dont do it.
  4. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Thats what I was afraid of, so I asked beforehand. I'll just go ahead and run them through after I load them.

Thanks
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you use a case sizing lubricant like RCBS's lube for their pad (and a spray lube if it is water soluable) then the lube wipes off with a damp cloth. I do not like the idea of tumbling (or vibrating) loaded ammo. If it is not a safety issue, I wonder what happens to the powder. Does it break up physically (which effects the burning rate)? I know, lots of you out there do it but I don't for the stated reasons or questions that come to mind.

LDBennett
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Again, I vote along with LDBennnett. Lube should be easy to wipe off, and in a lot less time than it would take to clean it in your tumbler. Don't know for sure if tumbling will cause powder problems, but I wouldn't take the chance of tumbling loaded rounds.
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Yes, the media may and probly will get stuck in the flash hole. But, it won't get stuck to the point of causing the round not to ignite. When the primer goes off, the blast from it will clear the flash hole, and the round goes off just fine. Tried it (on purpose) on a few rifle loads as well as pistol rounds just to see what would happen. Even though I know that it won't cause a problem, I still don't do it. But its nice to know that if it gets overlooked, it will still work just fine. As for tumbling live ammo, tried that too. That conversation has been discussed in another thred over the last couple days. No problems there either.
  8. howlnmad

I9e had some walnut media that has been tightly jammed in the flash hole to the point I had to use my flash hole de-burring tool to free them. You're willing to put an obstruction in the flash hole but not put ammo in a vibrating cleaner. Just asking, not trying to make enemies.
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    NONONONONONONONO BEEN THERE DONE THAT NONONONONONO EVERYBODY IS RIGHT OLD SEMPERFI
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Tumble clean empties or loaded rounds, no in between, its a a pain in the butt removing media from the flash hole if a primer is present...
  11. guns4life

guns4life New Member

awwwww come on fellas that would make for an interesting thread shoulda let him do it ........nah just kiddin really that is a big no no
  12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

howlnmad: When did I say I won't tumble live ammo?? As I have stated recently, I DO tumble live ammo on occasion. Perhaps something was misread somewhere? Or mistyped? As for an obstructed flash hole, I was referring to one from the inside (when a primer is already installed). That is what I tried, with no ill results.
  13. howlnmad

My apologies hunter. It was a misread on my part. Sorry.