wilson report

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by gpostal, Jan 10, 2004.

1. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Went to a indoor range and put 200 rounds through it ,functioned flawlessly ,I do believe it is capable of ½” groups or better ,but unfortunately I am so out of practice my best was 4” freehand ,lighting sucked and there was a cold draft going down the back of my neck , I guess the heater was malfunctioning ,it blew down each lane from behind

I did hit one hole three shot once just big enough you could tell where two hit ,but my next two ruined it ,it was 100% user problem ,I used 230grain Remington hp , which seamed to make a bit of smoke , 230 grain Winchester fmj ,and federal 185 hydra-shoc ,which seamed to be cleaner and group a bit better ,and what I got my 1 hole with

Not a cough or a hiccup though , a few {2}erratic ejections ,I think the extractor needs tuned a bit ,it isn’t as tight as it should be

I also shot a few through the amt with the Wilson bullet proof extractor installed functioned perfect

can't wait till summer i can get into a outdoor club ,i like the piece and quite ,as well as the elbow room
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

What model Wilson do you have? I've lusted after a local Thunder Ranch Special for quite some time....
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Wilson millennium protector

Carbon steel frame and slide with Wilson combat night sights ,and armor tuff finish, it has all parts the same as the CQB ,but for some reason 3 bills cheaper than the CQB ,only difference I can find is the front and back strap has lines instead of checkering

trigger pull is very crisp ,slide is soooo tight and smooth
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Here we go with that coveting thing again.......one New Year's resolution down the tubes.....
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Dan, don't even attempt to adjust anything until you have at least 500 rounds thru the Wilson. Atfer a proper breakin, everything will be fine.

Sounds like it will be a shooter. Most of the Wilson 1911's I have owned and shot are extremely accurate and reliable.

Have fun with the practice. :)
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

it has had 500 through it before i got it ,the guy that owned before me is one of those guys that buy a new vette every year ,buys expensive toys like this wilson shoots it sells it buys another ,he traded this one in on a les baer ,it was shot but not much absolutly no visible wear but the usual trigger and barrelhood ,and it was almost non existent ,not a sratch on the extractor ,but it does seam a bit loose on the bulet hold test ,it holds it ,but it tilts down ,is this common?

it is not a good ideal to trade a wilson back to a wilson master dealer ,you take a heck of a beating the moment you walk out the door

i just completed my total disassembly of it ,it came apart so easy and went back together with ease ,i think i will keep it for along time ,i need to shoot more often than i have been , maybe when i start my reloading this summer i can get back to par
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The extractor is adjusted correctly. The bullet should hang down a bit when doing the test.
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

my main concern is the erratic ejection ,two rounds come back and hit me ,just like the amt did before i changed it
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Check yer loads, before selling the gun. 4.0 of Bullseye is the floor, not the benchmark, for reliability.
    Some require 4.2, or even 4.3, to rattle. Fact remains, it's hard to F*** them up.
    Before you dump it, be sure you've given it a fair run.
    Hope this helps,
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Oh, BTW, if yer gonna dump it, I'd like to know!