Wilson's shok-buff recoil system

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 4:05:07 pm)
    Reply Wilson's shok-buff recoil system
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just looking for a consensus here on the use of this. I installed the system in my Commander about a year ago. I don't shoot a lot (100 a month average) and I have seen little impact. I have noticed very little (if any) differance in accuracy. Is it what I am not seeing which is what matters? I replace the buffers about every 200-300 rounds, and they are pretty well mased down.
    I do feel the action feels a little "tighter" when I fire. I have owned this pistol for about 25 years now, so I know how it feels when shooting.

For just punching holes in paper, which recoil spring do ya'll recommend? The system comes wiht a 12# and a 20#. When I carry the Commander, I install a 8#. It is just a bit easier to chamber a round. Is a stronger recoil spring going to make firing easier on the gun?

Will probably have a few more questions later

Stan H ,, nighthawk
    Sir; I may not agree with what you say
    But I shall defend unto death your right to say it

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (6/5/02 7:02:10 pm)
    Reply Re: Wilson's shok-buff recoil system
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nighthawk, The shock buff system will not help accuracy in anyway. It is designed to reduce the pounding between the slide and frame when using hot loads.

The #12 spring should only be used with reduced loads. Wad cutter ammo for punching holes in paper. When using factory loads, install the #20 spring. Especially for carry in your Commander.

The shock buff should , with the proper spring, last more than 200 - 300 rounds. More like 600 or better. I used the system years ago but no longer.

I hope this helps.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 10:05:03 pm)
    what shooter45 said.

I've used that system for ~4yrs, get about 4-500rds out of each, with an 18# spring in my Colt Series80

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/6/02 10:24:35 am)
    thanks guys,,,,
    Stan H ,, nighthawk

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/7/02 7:58:50 am)
    NH.....is yours a Lightweight Commander, or a Combat (steel) one?

The main reason for different weight springs is to keep the slide from pulverizing the slide stop and wearing both the slide and the frame. This is particularly important with the LW Commander where you have a steel slide and an aluminum alloy frame.

An 8# spring seems awfully light for almost any load in a Commander. General rule of thumb is to use the heaviest spring that will reliably function with any given load.

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/7/02 10:53:25 am)
    Xracer
    Mine is the Combat model, all steel. I haven't had any problem (yet) with the 8# recoil spring, shooting Winchester 230 grain SXT. (I don't reload). However, I don't shoot a lot with that spring. I guess I will take ya'll's advice and put a heavier spring back in. Would hate to have trouble at the wrong time.

btw, I had used only the original spring in this pistol for many years. Heck, I don't even know what strength that was. I was told at one time that the pistol came with a 12# spring. Not sure how accurate that info was. Guess ya'll would know that.

Stan H ,, nighthawk