Win 100 gas problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 30calpal, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 30calpal

30calpal New Member

So my Win 100's piston is corroded awful! I'm pretty sure I'm getting gas blow-by cause it fails to eject sometime. The cyl and the piston are steel and I think, hard chromed. I think I would like the piston to be 416 S.S. Would 416 hold up to heat, pressure and pounding? Would it have to be heat treated? Could the cyl also be 416 S.S. ? Or should it be a different material?
    If I have a piston made of 416, how close tolerance should the piston head be to the I.D. bore of the cyl? Don't want the cyl to 'bite' the piston after a few shots. Metallurgy and machining experience a plus here. Thanks.
  2. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

3. 30calpal

30calpal New Member

Thanks Gunplumber, I know about the replacement parts from Brownells and Nu-Line. My SIL is VP of a machine /fab company and I can get 'custom' parts made. I was hoping for answers more directly answering the metallurgy questions. But, thanks anyway.