Win 1890 22 Long carrier to 22LR conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Helix_FR, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Have anyone of you all successfully seen or done, converted a Win 1890 Carrier for a 22 Long and milled it down some more to accept 22LR? I know the carriers are case hardened so that can pose a problem. I have a customer that keeps bugging me about finding a carrier for a 22LR but they can be found. Even though I told him that the 22LR bullet will have a hard time stabilizing in a higher twist barrel thats set up for the 22L he just has to have it in 22LR. Anyone try this?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Oh, boy, it's been a while, and I might even be thinking of another gun, but I THINK that will work. The carrier has to be tweaked a bit so it comes up far enough for the bolt to catch the rim of the .22 LR. The ejector may be a problem too, as it has to eject a longer round if unloading an unfired round.

Jim
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Oh good point Jim. Something I'll have to consider when doing this. Thanks.
  4. ghrit

ghrit New Member

May need to beef up the elevator spring, too. The milling is no problem, if your smith is a good one, he can do it with a drill bit. (Don't forget to check the chamber, it very well could be too short.)
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I'm doing it:D;) On a mill. (don't know how good I am;) but I'm good on a mill) The chamber was check so its good. I'll get a new spring, Im sure this is the original spring. Thanks for the help guys.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The loading port in the magazine may need to be opened up also, but that is a minor point. And tell the customer to stick with standard velocity .22 LR. The gun is not going to blow up but the extra pressure of high velocity ammo will eventually batter the bolt and locking surfaces and lead to exess headspace.

Jim
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

my guess this gun is going to see very limited use. The guy got it for nostalgic reasons. I already told him to stay away from hyper velocity .