1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

WIN 270 WSM

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Michael
    (4/12/02 6:02:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All WIN 270 WSM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, first of all, thanks to all for making this a great forum. I have been lurking for awhile, and finally registered and this is my first post. I tried to search for this topic here, but came up empty handed, so I have started this post.

I have a Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight 270 WSM on order with the local gun shop, and want to get some opinions on what others think of this cartridge. I have read everything on it that I have been able to get my hands on, but have not talked to anyone who has actually shot one. Winchester is talking about releasing 270 cal guns in Mid to Late May, and the 7mm versions in July or so. I do quite a bit of hunting for mule deer and elk in open country, and am really looking to see how these rifles shoot.

I am no expert on guns technically, just a guy who loves to hunt and fish. Thanks for any opinions.

Michael

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/12/02 10:26:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WIN 270 WSM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to TFF Michael,

I also am very interested in the .270 WSM.

I need a magnum caliber in my safe and I was thinking this one might be the one. I have only done some reading and would also like to hear from someone who has shot one.

The 300 WSM is also a possibility for me.

I like short actions but need a magnum just because I do not have one

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/12/02 11:50:21 pm)
    Howdy, Mike -

Sure done a lot of reading on all the new short magnums - have yet to try one.

Work at a gunrange and know of a couple people that have the .300 WSM - they aren't really impressed with it and are drifting off to other things. One guy is seriously thinking of having his rechambered to something else!

Always been a fan of the smaller calibers, but never did get around to a .277 type. Have .25's, 6.5's and 7mm's, so guess I got it surrounded!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/13/02 5:03:22 am)
    Ken, what are the main complaints they have with the 300 WSM?

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (4/13/02 1:06:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: WIN 270 WSM
    WELCOME Michael ~~~~

T F F is the place to BE.....especially when you have common interests concerning your choice of Rifles, etc. etc.

Plenty of wise shooters and gun owners inhabit our forums.
    Post every chance you get. I'm sure you will appreciate your
    unconditional acceptance among like kind.

Charlie D
    Piggy SELLS sum
    270 barrels at tha
    Pumphouse Saloon
    (Every other Thursday of
    every other month....)
    (real deals)

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/13/02 6:19:12 pm)
    Pig -

Accuracy wasn't there, either in factory or handloads, and velocities weren't quite what was advertised.

IMHO - the short, fat cases are the way to go. My 7mm Dakota is a wonderful example of small bore, squat case and pin point accuracy, for a big game rifle. I had this rifle built back in the days before the new short magnum craze. Had I waited until now, I'd certainly give due consideration of the Rem and Win short mag's. They're basically the same thing as what I've got, plus case availability is much better. My new, unprimed cases run around $1.30 each from Huntingdon in Calif.

jer2003
    (4/13/02 6:31:55 pm)
    kdub01,
    What is the magazine capacity of your rifle. I have wondered if you lose 1 round capacity due to the larger diameter of the case.
    Have you chronographed it?

I have a M700 Rem 7 MM RM I bought in about 1961 or the first year they came out. I get 3150 with 160 gr bullets, and 2960 with 175 gr. The articles I have read don't show the newer magnums with much advantaage.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/13/02 10:40:53 pm)
    First, a big WELCOME to the board, Jerry - hope you stick around and join the many and diverse conversations!

The main advantage of the short magnums is being able to use a standard length (30-06) action, rather than the longer magnum length jobbies.

Next, there is thought that the fatter case with the faster tapered shoulder aids in power burn rate whereas the powder is mostly consumed within the case body and chamber, rather than down-bore as the bullet travels downrange. The powder is held more closely to the primer and in column, rather than being spread out with the primer flash igniting the powder train from back to front while unburned powder is in the middle.

The .284 Win is a classic example of a cartridge before it's time - had it been developed recently, it would be touted by the rag writers right up there with the others.

The other advantage is the "beltless" case, the short mag's headspacing on the shoulder rather than the belt that most "magnums" have. The belt was developed by the Holland and Holland gunsmiths at the turn of the 20th century as a means of headspacing modern smokless powder cartidges in the double barrelled rifles. Up until that time, cases were rimmed and presented no problems. The belt is an unnessary addition for a bolt action rifle (where most "magnum" calibers reside) but was added for the "magnum" effect. Headspacing on the belt leaves the case to be free of support from the belt forward and is not considered ideal for case/bullet alignment with the bore. Now, if you neck size once-fired brass in the same chamber on a belted case, you have the best of both worlds, as the headspacing and alignment occurs both at the front AND back of the case!

Your other question - yes, you lose magazine capacity with fatter cases, unless the magazine well is deepened to accomodate the cases. I have a customized Ruger 77R action that is one of the first that came with the squared receiver (tuff as the hubs of Hell!), that was originally chambered for the Rem 7mm Mag. Installed a Douglas premium stainless barrel on it, had it tight chambered, blue printed and the guide rails opened slightly, as well as the bolt face. It holds three in the magazine and one in the chamber - pretty standard for magnum calibers.

The 7 Dakota fits between the 7mm Weatherby and the 7mm Shooting Times Western in velocity in all bullet weights. Mine will group MOA at all ranges out to 300 yds, where it is zero'd to, shooting 160 to 175 grain bullets.

jer2003
    (4/13/02 11:31:58 pm)
    kdub01,
    Thanks. I know the short fat cases are in general more accurate. I also never liked belted magnum cases because the chambers are somewhat sloppy and the cases do not last long.

I would not want to lose a round from the magazine capacity, however.

The longer case life would be the primary advantage for me in the short belted magnum class. I agree that the long action makes a "short shuck" more likely when under stress, although I haven't experienced that.

My own 7 MM Rem has always grouped in MOA or less with full power loads of weights of 140 gr to 175 gr. in a 24 inch barrel.
    Since my rifle chrono at 3150 with 160 gr bullets a different cartridge such as the 7 MM Westerner would have to beat it by at least 150 fps. for me to feel I was getting a gain. Some articles have not shown that much difference. In a 24 inch barrel I suspect it would be difficult to get 3300 fps.
    If I didn't have a 7MM Mag and wanted one I would probably get the Dakota.

If you ever chronograph your rifle let us know.
    Thanks again, and have a good night.
    Jerry

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/14/02 12:24:14 am)
    Yup -

Have chronographed them over my Pact PC2.

150 Gr Nosler Partition @ 3250 fps

162 Gr Hornady SP @ 3175 fps

175 Gr Remington SP @ 3025 fps

I've shot all of them faster, but these are the ones that hold together best.

Michael
    (4/16/02 7:09:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del WIN 270 WSM
    Thanks for all of your responses. I do not own a .25-27 caliber weapon, but have thought of owning one for many years. I guess I decided it was time with the presence of all of the new high tech bullets out, and the thought of the short bolt throw, and the small cased cartridges available with the SM rifles. A .300 WSM doesn't interest me as much as I already own a regular 300 mag. Also, from my youth, I have positive memories of hunts with my best friends family and their 25-06 rifle. He, my friend, made some incredible long distance shots with it on deer. It was a real sweetheart rifle. I look forward to getting this rifle in, and getting it on the range.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/16/02 6:39:36 pm)
    Good luck with your new rifle, Mike -

Let us know how it works out.

Michael
    (5/31/02 11:23:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del WIN 270 WSM
    Well it finally arrived. The first Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 270WSM in the Madison area. For some reason, Winchester has been a little slow in releasing the Model 70s in wood. They had several Brownings with synthetic stocks, stainless barrels, etc. They said they have had a lot of interest in this caliber, and think it will sell well around here.

Now I have to outfit it with a scope. I have been waffeling between a Shepherd scope and a Leupold tactical. I would like to shoot targets at 5-600 yards, and at 400 yards max on animals if the conditions are right for it. What do you long range shooters suggest?? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 7:10:12 pm)
    Don't know a darn'd thing about Shepard scopes, Mike -

Most of my rifles have either Leupold (majority) or Burris' installed. You just can't go wrong with a Leupold!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 8:28:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: WIN 270 WSM
    I'm a Shepherd dealer, and would be happy to answer any questions about the scopes. They are awesome, by the way.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

hotload
    (7/16/02 6:39:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del WSM
    Well i'm only about 2 months behind on this topic, but since i just joined up on TFF, I guess thats okay. I own a model 70 stainless in 300 WSM. I havent shot it much,but I've already had it at a gunsmith to have some work done. The main problem was the recoil ! I'm going to change stocks to get rid of the piece of plastic that was on it . We brought the trigger down to one that would make anybodies eyes get big . We are having to wait 12 weeks on a Boyds stock . when we get done I'll have a black and silver laminated thumbhole stock,finished by hand rubbing it to a dark very dull finish. For now we just changed the recoil pad, so I can shoot it without tearing up,until my other stock gets here. Glad to here someone else has a WSM. Stay in touch. Hotload

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/16/02 7:37:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WSM
    Hotload,

Just got mail from Al at Ace Systems. Your stock arrived today. Looks like another road trip.

hotload
    (7/16/02 8:11:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!!
    Tell me youre not kidding, that would be a dirty joke. But you will be my favorite person .

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/16/02 9:00:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!!
    No kidding. I wouldn't do that. Al said shoot the rifle then send it back.

Range time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheatwacker
    (7/29/02 10:11:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!!
    i'm a few months behind looks like from start date of post
    my next rifle purchace will be a win 70 coyote in 270wsm
    i dont know when they started to offer the wsm's in the coyote but must not have been to long ago
    wheatwacker
  2. Jgab

Jgab New Member

I own a 270 WSM Tikka Stainless. I can fit 3 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. I don't need all those rounds because this rifle drives tacks on each and every shot. I shoot my own reloads. The second time out with it, I shot 6 consecutive rounds within a 1" group at 100 yards. Recoil is nothing. I put on a limb saver pad and I can shoot 50 plus rounds a day and not feel a thing.

The reason I shoot so well with this rifle is because I am very comfortable with it and I have gained a lot of confidence with it. I am not promoting this caliber, I am just saying that you need to shoot lots with whatever you own? I have friends that would never give up their 300 mags for anything. This is because they shoot a lot and they build confidence and a comfortable relationship with their rifles.

For me, this 270 WSM caliber is a keeper. I can't say much about the other WSMs, but I would recommend this one and I would buy one over again if someone ever stole it from me.

Thanks,
    J