Win Mod 70 Price

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mwsenoj, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mwsenoj

mwsenoj New Member

Hello, this is my first post here on firearmsforum.com, thanks in advance for any responses.

My dad gave me a Winchester model 70 Featherweight chambered in .243 that is pre '64. I have not picked it up from him yet, so I am not quite sure of the serial number that would let you know what year it was made. It is in good condition. I believe that my dad was the second owner of the gun. It does have some marring of the finish but the blueing is in pretty good shape.

My dad does not have any sentimental attachment to it and I was considering selling it to get a new Remington mod 700 Varmint rifle that is supposed to be a real tack driver. Knowing what my old gun is worth will help with the decision.

Thanks and I appreciate the help with the price!
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum they will probably need pictures to help u
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

mwsenoj WELCOME to TFF! BETH is right pictures would help but i will give it a shot. If The ser# are between 581,471 and 206,626 It is mfg. 1952-1963 And the blue book says 100%-$ 1,650 down to 60%-$550. Remember the value is depending on condition and market availability.(What someone will pay for it) Post some pictures for a better anser there are people here that can give a better anser then just what the blue book says................GOOFY:)
  4. mwsenoj

mwsenoj New Member

5. intimidator3

intimidator3 New Member

That model 70 is probably a better shooter than what you're wanting. Had one in 300 win. mag. and it was dead on. Wish I had it back!!!
  6. Ace1911

Ace1911 New Member

matt, one thing most of us old timer's say is "I wish I had it back". If you can keep it, you should, and try to fund the Rem700 another way. Believe me, there will be a day when you say this saying too. IDK value, but the gun is a nice looker to me.
  7. mwsenoj

mwsenoj New Member

Ok, I think that I have been convinced, for now at least, to keep the rifle. I still am curious as to an approximate value. Anyone have a good idea what its worth?
  8. intimidator3

intimidator3 New Member

MW, just try that mod 70 before you buy another. You can drive the Remington bullets in a little deeper. Shot the same hole many times. My father in law couldn't believe it. Had to dig out the bullets to see for himself. The double bullet hole will be just a tad bigger. It is hard to tell by just lookin. Had a 3 X 9 Buschnell on her. Heck of a scope, gathers a lot of light near dusk when critters come out. Enjoy and don't have to say "WISH I HAD HER BACK". The way things are now, you can't have too many guns. Keep tellin my wife that, too.
  9. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Sir your Feather weight M70 is a some what rare variation of them. In Excellent condition, $2,200 Very good $1750, good $1,400. The 243 caliber is the most common feather weight caliber.

As was suggested, properly clean the barrel and shot it, it may very well surpise you. Let the barrel cool between shot strings as this is a very light barrel that heats up fast. But the sure carry nice with out the extra weight. Mine in 264 Win mag heats the barrel to very hot in 5 shots! Did I say they carry nice???:D

It's a keeper in most folks eyes, I think...;)

Best regards, Kirk
  10. mwsenoj

mwsenoj New Member

Thanks for checking on this for me Kirk. I will be keeping it for the foreseeable future. It will take hard times, not a new gun, to remove this from my collection :)