Win. Model 12..20Ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yardbird, Sep 3, 2012.

1. yardbird

yardbird New Member

What are these going for?. This little gun must have been reblued because it is just like new. I think it was made in 1926, been hanging on my wall for the last 12 years..

Attached Files:

2. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

It was serialized in June of 1925. Yes, it has been reblued. Value is < $500.

Bert H.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Not to disagree but the book says 2 3/4 was not standard intill 1927. I would put this gun between $275-$300 because it was redone and not original.
    Mike
  4. Goody

Goody Member

I think the receiver ring was stamped 2 3/4 hen the gun was redone. The '2' in the serial number and the chamber size do not match. Should be a date code somewhere on the barrel? Or maybe it was a mark that showed a mail order barrel?
  5. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

You are correct... Winchester changed the standard chamber length for the 20 and 16 gauge guns to 2-3/4" in 1927. However, this gun was modified and remarked after it was originally manufactured. Based on the way it was remarked, it appears that Winchester did the work to rechamber it. They however, did not reblue it. That was done by someone else at an even later date.

Bert H.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The word "FULL" appears to have been put on with an electric pencil, though I don't know what that means in regard to the originality of the barrel.

Jim
  7. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Jim,

My bet is that someone tried to enhance the marking after it was nearly buffed off of the barrel. It was originally stamped on the barrel by Winchester in that exact location.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. yardbird

yardbird New Member

Thanks all for the replies..Roy