Win White Box vs. Fed ??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rocklinskier, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Any opinions? For FMJ 9mm or 45 ACP.....

Almost same price, Winchester slightly more. Which do you prefer for accuracy, consistency, and reliability?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Which size of Win white box? There are three different sized boxes, they are all made in different places; stay away from the small boxes, they're junk IMO.

Other than that, they're both comparable; take your pick or flip a coin. If you reload, I do have slight preference to the Win brass.
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hmm, interesting, made in diff. factories/locations!! The stuff I've been seeing is at Walmart..it's the 100 count Winchester "target ammo" in 100 round value packs.

The Federal is in conventional 50 round boxes.

Not reloading YET, however, hopefully in the near future.
  4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Winchester, bought it fired it-9mm and .45 no complaints. I'd buy more if I could find it!! Have not fired Federal but never heard a bad thing about em. Buy what your gun likes, if it likes em both, your good to go!!
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I like the Win white box, but you gotta watch it. Ive found (average of 1 or 2 per 100rnd box) several bad rounds mixed in. Bullets pushed way in or sticking way out, bullets that are sliced by the edge of the case, etc. Some of these defects could not be chambered, but some could. Its a shame that the quality control slipped to that extent. I should have contacted them about the defects, but instead I just set them aside as a reminder for me to pay attn when I re-load.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What size of white box? and where was it made? If i ever find any quality issues, I ALWAYS get ahold of the manuf when it comes to ammo problems.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Both will be functionally the same, accuracy depends on your guns preferences. buy both and keep buying the one that shoots most accurately...
  8. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I'll be coming State side soon what price is Average for white box 100 count I'm paying 18 for 50 right now.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

18 for 50 is a tad on the high side by walmart prices. Wally world sells em for 15 and change depending on tax rate (8.25% in burleson, and 7.75% in cleburne) 18 aint bad though, I have seen em go for 20 + for 50 at the shop. it got ridiculous during the height of the shortage...
  10. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, not a ton of experience with 9mm, but Winchester WB is all I’ve ever used in my Marlin Camp 9, a 9mm carbine for those that don’t know. Bought the gun in the early to mid 1980's, and Winchester WB was all I ever used. It was available, and cheap. I probably didn’t put more than 3 or 4 boxes of ammo thru it before the gun went into the closet till last year. I recently ran out of ammo before I became aware of the ammo shortage, and have had to order online. Nothing around here. I ordered all Winchester WB. I never had any problems with it. The gun goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I see no reason to not buy Winchester WB ammo. I’ll be adding a Glock 17 or 19 soon, and plan on shooting white box ammo thru it most of the time. I found some in a gun store well north of here a month ago for $20. Works out to $0.30 each, or $5.10 every time you empty a 17 round clip. :D
  11. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I really like American Eagle rounds by Federal for sue at the range. Never had any issues with them. I have had FTF and FTE with WWB.
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've shot a bunch of winchester in 9 and 45 and never had a problem, never checked for accuracy, just pulled the trigger. i've shot some federal in 40, had 1 bad round out of close to a thousand, the head was too thick and wouldnt slip under my extractor on my smith 4006, however it did load in my glock 22, but i did not fire it