Winchester 1200 Action Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gnutech, Sep 19, 2009.

1. gnutech

gnutech New Member

I was cleaning my Winchester 1200 pump action the other day and when working the oil into the action (pull trigger and move slide) it got stuck in the rear/open position and I am unable to progress it back into the front/closed position.

I did manage to get the trigger group out and the action and slide progress back to the front/closed position; while, the trigger group is removed from the gun. However, if I reinstall the trigger group and slide the action back into the rear/open position it gets stuck, again.

It isn't quite clear what the action is getting stuck on, but it is obviously something with the trigger group.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? Any suggestions on how to diagnose and/or remedy the issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Gary
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

aint got a clue honestly. if i could see the gun i could probably figure out the cause and suggest a remedy.

i expect any gunsmith would be able to do the same. i would also expect that it is something pretty simple
  3. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Had same problem with 1300 after 3" nitro mags. (gun was chambered for 3.5"). I ended up buying a new one due to cost of used gun vs price of new trigger group.

Ryan
  4. HammondShooter

HammondShooter New Member

You have to make sure the hammer on the trigger group is cocked and then you have to make sure the slide arms are in the cutouts on the bottom of the bolt assembly.

You assemble the trigger group to the receiver by carefully working the front end of the trigger group into the slots at the front end of the receiver. Then gently push the rear end of the trigger group down into position. This should go in easy if everything is lined up--don't force it.

Then install the trigger guard pin from right to left until its flush with the receiver.

I took all the above from the pdf manual I have for the model 1200 that I found online. The pictures would help (page three). I'm looking for a link to the manual and will post it when I find it.

Here, its on page three of the manual: http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/winchester_1200.pdf

Shane
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. hugmadat

hugmadat Former Guest

Thank you for your information and soon reply to my question.
    Very much appreciate your help.
    thanks so much for useful info
    thanks for your suggestion
    I think this is enough .....
  6. HammondShooter

Let us know if you get it back working again.

Glad my info could help. :)

Shane
  7. gnutech

gnutech New Member

HammondShooter,

Thank you for the link to the manual. I was wondering if it was my hammer. The hammer didn't look like it was in the same position (further forward and sticking up) as the manual suggested it needed to be. However, I don't know that the hammer was the problem as I used some electrical tape to tape the hammer down and then put the trigger group back into the gun. I pulled the slide back and what do you know, the slide and action still got stuck in the rear position.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is the shell ejector mechanism. It appears that when I move the slide to the rear position and then move it forward, again, the shell ejector rotates up and the action bolt seems to pinch on it (unless something further to the rear is pinching and I can't see it).

Even more strange is that the guns safety does not move easily between the on and off position any more.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Gary
  8. HammondShooter

I definitely think something else is not lined up or rotated correctly, as the hammer should cock back and stay in position without having to tape it down. All I can say is try to realign whatever the hammer is attaching to or working with so that it will stay cocked back on its own. Whatever is out of alignment is probably effecting the other things you mentioned along with the safety.

Hey, can any gunsmiths on here please chime in? I'm sure one of you has seen this happen before.

Shane
  9. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I had it happen to my model 12 12 ga when I loaned it to a guy a few years back to deer hunt. He brought the gun back to me in the condition you described, action open and jammed. Well aware the gun had probably never had the action thoroughly cleaned, I played around and got it disassembled. I removed the stock and trigger group and soaked, washed the entire sections in a home made agitating washer. I inspected the entire assembly for any wear, could find none evident. I lubricated thoroughly, removed excess lubrication and reassemble. Since then I've fired a couple boxes through it with no problems. I have no idea what had happened.
    The old boy to whom I had loaned the gun is pretty rough on hardware so I have no idea what he may have done to it. I do believe it was just that the gun needed a good cleaning and lubricating.
    oldogy
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

If all is well with the trigger group removed then you isolated your problem.
    check your carrier, make sure its not interfering with the slide action and is operating correctly.These SG have a trigger block safety. Your trigger may not be resetting fully causing the sear to not engage the hammer fully.(hence the stiff safety) When this happens the disconnector will stay in the up position and if I remember correctly will lock the slide to prevent a slam fire. Check your hammer housing for cracks, some are made of plastic. (I'm not sure which one you have.)
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  11. gnutech

gnutech New Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Winchester 1200 Action Stuck Open

Helix_FR:

Success! You hit the nail on the head or in this case the hammer on the head.

It turns out that I must have pulled the trigger when the gun was partially disassembled (only the barrel was removed). This released the hammer and the bolt was thus getting pinched on the sprung hammer when moving the slide in the forward direction.

It actually made more sense when I found the following military break down manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8374581/Winchester-Model-1200-Riot-Shotgun-Manual

Figure 5-7 shows the release of the hammer during trigger group disassembly.

The trigger group came out of the gun with the hammer already released, so I didn't have a point of reference to begin.

I assume this is exactly why the Winchester manual states: Do not pull trigger after disassembly.

I wish they would have also included the resolution for that issue.

Thanks to everyone that assisted in bringing this thread to a successful conclusion.

I now know my Winchester 1200 much better than I ever imagined.

Kind Regards,

Gary