WINCHESTER 12g REPEATER SHOTGUN 1893

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by whiteagle, Jul 28, 2009.

1. whiteagle

whiteagle New Member

ENGRAVED NUMBER-7807 - AT BOTTOM OF BREECH
    ON BARREL- MANUFACTURED BY WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO.
    NEW HAVEN. CONN U.S.A. MODEL 1893. PAT. NOV.25.1890
    ON SIDE ENGRAVED- WINCHESTER MODEL 1893
    I RECEIVED THIS SHOTGUN AS A GIFT FROM MY BROTHER IN LAW WHEN I WAS ABOUT 21 YEARS OLD.
    I HUNTED EXTENSIVELY WITH THIS GUN AT THAT TIME AND SHOT HUNDREDS OF REGULAR SHOTGUN SHELLS. NO PROBLEM. EVERYTHING IS STILL STANDARD ON THIS GUN AND IT NEVER HAD ANY WORK OR REPAIRS DONE TO IT AS FAR AS MY KNOWLEDGE.
    AS TO USING MODERN AMMUNITION IN IT A HUNGARIAN GUNSMITH FRIEND OF MINE HAD IT CHECKED OUT SHORTLY AFTER I GOT IT AND INFORMED ME THAT IT WOULD HAVE BLOWN UP A LONG TIME AGO WHEN I INFORMED HIM HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE FIRED THIS GUN WITH REGULAR AMMUNITION.
    TO HIS OPINION THE STEEL ON THIS PARTICULAR GUN IS FAR SUPERIOR THAN MANY MODERN GUNS.
    I SHOT SO MANY ROUNDS HUNTING ROCK PIGEONS IN THE ORANGE FREE STATE SUNFLOWER FIELDS THAT I HAD TO WAIT FOR THE GUN TO COOL DOWN SO HOT WAS IT TO TOUCH.
    I AM A SOUTH PAW SHOOTER AND FOR REALLY FAST SHOOTING YOU HAVE TO TILT THIS GUN TO THE RIGHT TO EJECT THE SHELLS AS YOU PUMP IT.
    OTHERWISE IT CAN SOMETIMES JAM.
    WAS I JUST FORTUNATE THAT THIS GUN NEVER BLEW UP?
    WHAT IS YOUR RESPECTED OPINION?
    THE CHOKING ON THIS GUN IS NOTHING AND IT SPREADS THE SHOT OUT OVER A WIDE AREA- SO YOU HAVE TO QUITE CLOSE TO ANY BIRDS TO BE ACCURATE.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

What do you mean by regular shotgun shells? Game Loads, Magnum Loads? Until recently most shells were loaded with lead shot which is fine for your gun. The problem now days is that the non chrome lined barrels of yesteryear cannot handle the new steel shot. They don't "blow up" it errodes the barrels at a faster rate ruining the barrel lining. A Magnum load or "highbrass" in your gun may make it "blow up" and if your shooting magnum loads in it I would stop before you destroy your face and consider yourself lucky. Winchester used a nickle steel which was a harder steel but still not for use with steel shot and I would never use a magnum or waterfowl load in one.

The choke is all dependent on what the gun was choked to. It should say "full, IC, modified, skeet etc" Its possible that you shot the choke out of it if you did use steel shot but thats just a guess b/c I don't know what regular shells are or what you used. Its possible "and I've seen this with several guns that have been in for repair" That before your BIL bought it, someone cut the barrel down. It was common for them to be chambered in full choke which would destroy ground squirrel and rabbit. Many people cut the choke down to prevent this leaving the choke at modified at best.

Your shell won't eject because your ejector is broken. This is what kicks the shell out after the extractor pulls it out of the chamber.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  3. whiteagle

whiteagle New Member

With regular shotgun shells I mean lead shot.I never used magnum or steel shot so far in this gun.
    The lenght seems original as I have not seen any other 1893 pump action guns but judging from photos it seems original.
    I considered to have the gun choked but decided to leave it original as far as possible.
    I am relieved to hear that it is possible to shoot lead shot with this gun and thanks for your reply and all the info.
    To my opinion the choke was shot out before I got this gun.
    I do not suspect the ejector is broken as it ejects the shells but only on fast shooting it gives problems if you do not tilt it as you eject. Can you give me more info on this?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Moderator

If I'm understanding you right what your experiencing is normal. I always tell people with pump actions is to "pump it like you mean it!" Riding the slide (slow pump) will not eject the shell properly or even at all. Is this the state that your experiencing?
    There is one possbility that I have only experienced with Remington pumps. They were not chambered for 2 3/4 shells but for 2 11/16? (sorry brain fart while I'm writing this). This can cause 2 problems. 1 overpressure in the chamber b/c the shell can fully open but also the shorter length of chamber ment a shorter ejection port. The 2 3/4 shells can't make it out.
    Do you know how to measure a chamber? I'll be happy to help

Don't re-choke or poly choke the gun, you'll kill the value. Better left alone if you can deal with it.