Winchester 1873 32-20

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thor, Jan 8, 2009.

1. thor

thor New Member

Hello,

I have recently received a Winchester Model 3 1873 32.20 round barrel rifle that I would like to learn more about.

Serial number is 438022B.

I believe the 1873 was only produced in 32.20 in 1882 - is this correct?

Does anyone know any other location for information beyond the "pay me first sites"?:)

Attached Files:

2. Ed K

Ed K New Member

google winchester forum they have x cellent info
  3. thor

thor New Member

Thanks Ed - I'll give that a try.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>I believe the 1873 was only produced in 32.20 in 1882 - is this correct?< I doubt it. Mine was made in 1889. I looked yours up. It was made in 1892.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's a carbine, by the way. Not a rifle. Looks like the forward barrel band is broken.
  6. thor

thor New Member

Thank you for the reply regarding the production date, and the correction for my mis-statement regarding a rifle versus a carbine. I appreciate the information.
  7. thor

thor New Member

Just FYI, I did examine the forward barrel band - and it must just be something in the lighting in the photo, because the band does not show any damage upon close inspection. - Thanks for the check-up request though.:)
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, the more I look at that picture, the curiouser I get. A carbine has a plain wood forearm, with a band going around the forearm and the barrel. That you have. It also has another band, closer to the muzzle, with the band going around the magazine and the barrel.

A rifle, on the other hand, has a metal cap on the end of the forearm, and no barrel bands. Out near the muzzle is a hanger that is dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel, that holds the magazine. That is what this gun appears to have. That is why I said what I did. I can see the metal going around the magazine, but I can't see any metal going over the top of the barrel. So I figured that a chunk of the barrel band had broken off.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...fle/1206121_win18733840.jsp?hierarchyId=11931
    This is a rifle. See the metal cap on the forearm, the lack of barrel bands, and the magazine hanger. Also, notice the deep crescent of the buttplate, and the very sharp points at top and bottom.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...1005556_win73nik_01l_kc.jsp?hierarchyId=11931
    This one is a carbine. Notice bare end on the forearm, barrel band on the forearm, another barrel band just in front of the front sight, no magazine hanger, and the much softer curves of the buttstock.

I wonder if, maybe, yours has been rebarreled sometime in its past, and they used a rifle barrel to do it.

Or is that just a bad picture of the front of the gun?
  9. thor

thor New Member

Would a photo from the from of the barrel help?

Any other angles or closeups that you'd like to see?
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, a side shot from about the end of the forearm to the muzzle would help. If for nothing else, just to ease my curiosity. The one you posted is centered on the receiver, and the muzzle is just kinda disappearing into the darkness at the edge of the pic. Thanks.
  11. thor

thor New Member

Here are some detailed shots from both sides, top and end - I hope they help. If I missed any angle - just let me know what you need. - and Thanks!:)

Attached Files: