The Firearms Forum banner

winchester 1882 .25-20 forestock removal

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Mikebiker 
#1 ·
Greetings all.

I am trying to find info on disassembly of the model 1892 .25-20. I can probably figure most of it out, except the forestock. I see no way to get it off. Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Kneepuck

#4 ·
The magazine tube is pretty much the problem. It appears to be attached to a bracket under the front of the barrel. The bracket looks like it is rivited ? in place. If I punch out the rivets, can I replace them with screws? And, does the forestock slide off towards the front, or does it come off the back after the barrel is removed?
Thanks again.

#5 ·
The magazine tube is held in place by pins not rivets on a rifle and by a screw on a carbine. Tap out the pin and the tube should slide forwards allowing the forend wood to come off. Do not try to remove the barrel unless you a have a serious need to. Pictures would be a big help to determine which model you have and if it is original or modified.

#11 ·
I don't know what you have! It is a mixture of parts. It looks like a carbine barrel and receiver with a rifle forend and forend cap. How long is the barrel from the breechface to the muzzle. The magazine cap looks like it is in cocked to one side. There should be a slot in the barrel for the tab to fit into. The front sight is of the type used on a carbine. but the forend is all wrong. A carbine did not have a forend hanger like is on this gun. It would have a band around the barrel and magazine tube and the forend and barrel. If it was a factory custom short rifle it would have had a typical rifle sight. The barrel crown should be flat. At any rate you need to remove the magazine tube and pull it forward to remove the forend. There should be 2 screws in the forend cap that need to be removed as well. This gun has been messed with. I would not sink a lot of money into it.

Typical carbine,

Typical rifle,

You gun is a mixture and still not correct for any factory special order guns I can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.