The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 1884 44WCF

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
I am posting this for a friend because he is computer illeratate. From what I have taken he has a very old Winchester 1884 lever action. 44 caliber - The only markings on it we have been able to identify are "44WCF - OCT. 14. 1884 - 406779" the gun is 42" from butt to end of barell. Any idea what year this gun may be or what the value is ?

See less See more
#2 ·
What you have is an 1892 Winchester, not an 1884. John Browning patented the action in 1884. That's the date on the barrel.

You've got a 24" rifle, in 44/40 with an octagonal barrel. Congrats. That's the one that most people want, so even though it is not the rarest, it is the most valuable. Your pictures aren't good enough for making a good valuation, but I'd say at least 800, and most likely much higher. If that tang sight is a Marbles it's worth more than if it's a Lyman.

It was made in 1907.

#3 ·
This actually a Model 92 Winchester, the 1884 is a patent date. It is in the most common variation, 24 inch octagon barrel, 44-40 caliber(44wcf), crescent butt. Assuming the 4067** number you posted is the serial number, found on the tang of the rifle, it was made in 1907. hard to tell much about conditoon from the two pictures, but judging from what I can see and assuming a decent bore I would expect to see this one priced in my area for between 9-1200.

#5 ·
It's not a style, it's a brand. Should be marked on it. Marbles sights are adjustable for elevation and windage, while Lyman's sights are just adjustable for elevation. Marbles cost more (even nowadays a Marbles is about 125 while a Lyman is around 80), and just ads a little more value to the gun. Tang sight, period, ads more value to the gun, but Marbles is wanted more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.