Winchester 1886 38-56 Worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by AJ100, Nov 28, 2009.

1. AJ100

AJ100 New Member

Along with some WWII military rifles I have sold for my pal's widow she has a Win.1886, 38-56 that I am trying to get some info on. I told her I would find out if it is worth anything. We kinda doubted it.

Rifle #39266 puts it at 1890. Full octagon, full magazine, crescent butt. My friend was in his 70's when he died. His GRANDFATHER owned this rifle. In the front of the earlier Blue Books they used to show color pics with the grading system. This one qualifies as what they used to call a "roach". They couldn't put a percentage grade on them but did say that even though these guns were in bad shape they could be worth something for parts.

Metal is brown, pitted, gouged, scraped and any other description that goes with a 112 year old rifle that was not taken care of. A screw is missing from the forearm cap. Two nice big gobs of what looks like silver solder are holding the mag tube to the barrel at the band. Oh, BTW, the hammer won't stay back when you cock it. Don't ask about the bore.

Wood is right up there with the metal. Gouged, cracked, beat up. It does have a few different initials and what looks like a face that someone tried to scratch in the stock. Yep, a face. I can post pictures but if you can imagine the worst, you already got the picture.

OK,who wants to start the bidding?

Actually I just wanted to know if it has ANY value even for parts, or just fagetaboutit. I figured if the rifle wasn't even worth the price of any parts I would just hang it on the wall in my game room along with the 1887 Win. shotgun that is there now. Kind of a matched set. The 87 is in about the same shape.

Thanks in advance for any info, AJ

SOLD It.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

AJ: It sounds to me that you have more of a wall hanger than a parts gun. If I had to guess I would say it is worth about $300.00.

Ron
  3. old jeff

old jeff New Member

Might be worth more for restoration.

A lot depends upon how much needs to be done and who does the work.

You might want to give the folks a call and discuss the possibilities.

CLASSIC GUNS, INC. 1702 Dixie Hwy. Crete, Il. 60417. 708-367-1620

I have seen what they have done with guns that were really abused and these guys do amazing work.

It won't hurt to explore all options.
  4. Bearcreek

Bearcreek New Member

Do you still have the 1886 Winchester? I am looking for a parts gun....
    Larry.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Every time a question is asked about the value of an old and badly treated gun, the subject of restoration comes up. There are a number of highly competent restorers and some can perform near miracles. But even the best restorers have to start with something, and that gun sounds too far gone for restoration. And their services are not free; they are skilled workmen and get paid accordingly.

Besides, any buyer who knows his stuff will recognize a restored gun and not pay big bucks for it, so there is little point in spending $3000 to restore a gun that will sell for $1000.

I agree with either keeping the gun as an heirloom or parting it out.

Jim