Winchester 1886

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hombre, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Hombre

Hombre New Member

Have a Winchester Mod 1886, caliber 50-110, mfg 1894.
    Is it possible to say anything about the value with this bad picture?
    Best regards,
    Hombre

Attached Files:

• Win1.jpg
      Win1.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You need to post at http://forums.*********.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2 (GB's Ask The Experts forum) for Winchester guru Bert H.

Flayderman's Guide lists minimum 0f $1500 in Very Good condition, with 100% premium added for .50 caliber, but does not mention a half-magazine option, which yours appears to have.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  3. Hombre

Hombre New Member

Thanks hrf!
    /Hombre
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Hombre: With all due respect to hrf if your gun has not been refinished it is worth about 10 times that amount. 50-110's are very rare and your gun appears to be in very nice condition. I sold one just like yours 3 years ago as a refinished gun to a dealer and I got 10K for it. You have a very valuable piece.

One thing I would suggest you do if you haven't already is run a cartridge through the gun from the magazine. A 50-110 action is opened up slightly different than any other caliber model 86 and if it is not orginal and has been rebarrled it will NOT feed. If you don't have any ammo PM me with your address and I will send you a couple of loaded rounds.

Ron
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. Hombre

Hombre New Member

Thank you very much for your help, Ron. I really appreciate it.
    The rifle is not refinished. Several years ago I got a factory letter for it which
    says:

Rifle
    50/110 caliber
    Barrel shape: Round
    Plain trigger
    1/2 magazine
    Swiveled
    Received in warehouse on November 15, 1894
    Shipped from warehouse on November 22, 1894, order number 1536

It is interesting with these prices you have in your place. Here it is not near it. By the way, I live in Sweden.:)
    /Hombre
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Hombre, I would guess that your gun may also British proof marked. In any event that gun with that letter would bring $15,000.00 here in America. It may not as our economy gets worse which I think is going to happen and I don't think the hyper inflation that is for sure coming (devaluation of our dollar) will help with things like old guns. While energy (oil) and food will skyrocket, I believe non essential items will have far less value. As an example if you know where to look one can buy a new gold Rolex watch for less than dealer cost. As for real estate one can buy finished lots in some areas of the country for less than it cost to produce them, making the land value actually negative.

I am sorry I got off track and got my self started.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  7. Hombre

Hombre New Member

Thanks again, Ron. I really appreciate it!
    No British proof mark.
    /Hombre