Winchester 1890 .22 WRF

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by emiuni, Mar 1, 2007.

1. emiuni

emiuni New Member

Let's see... this Winchester 1890, .22 WRF, octagon barrel rifle was purchased new by my grandfather. He was a dairy farmer and kept it in the barn so it's not in the best shape - you can see rust on it in the pics. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to take pics when the sun was shining - so these look a little dark not just because it's cloudy but also because the poor thing hasn't been cleaned in a verrrrry long time.

Click here to see the pics.

BTW, my husband has taken a liking to this one as well and is thinking of starting his own collection of antique, octagon barrel, pump action rifles. lol ;)
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://twoponies.home.mindspring.com/

Take a look at Two Ponies' site. He is a Winchester 90 collector. Nice feller too.

Your gun was made in 1912.

Yeah, it ain't in the best of shape, but at least your stock didn't get broken by some dumb kid playing army, buttstroking a tree (like mine did).
  3. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

3rd variation made in 1910(Ned Scwing's Winchester pocket guide). crime about that scope mount and the 4 holes. IF the bore is ok an the gun functions well U could take it down an clean it up #400 steel wool etc OR send it out 4 a full restoration, in which case it wood look feel shoot like WOW BUT it wood B redone an have not too much socalled collector value. there are a number of vry good restoration people out there, OR U could leeve it alone an leeve it in the barn OR sell the dam thing buy cupple cases Budweiser an 4getabout?? :cool:
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Excellent pictures, emiuni.....just what we need to determine the condition of your rifle.

Unfortunately, the condition is not good. In the condition it's in, and with the addition of the scope, it has little collector value.

So.......I'd tell you that if the bore is good, and it functions well, it's just a "shooter".....except that the special cartridge it takes, .22 WRF (Winchester Rim Fire) is not that easy to come by, so you probably won't find it locally. (Do NOT try to fire current .22 rimfire cartridges thru this rifle)

However, CCI still makes .22WRF and both Cabela's and Midway carry it.....

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0024229215334a.shtml

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=126619