Winchester 1890 circa 1908 I believe...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MisterMudd, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MisterMudd

MisterMudd New Member

I have recently obtained what appears to be a very old rifle:

Details -

Octagon barrel with a stamp on top which reads, "Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven Conn. USA. PAT JUNE 26. 88. DEC 6. 92. NOV 22. 06. MOD. 1890-"

On top of the sight, there is a stam which reads, "-PAT. JAN 29. 1901-"

Along the left side of the rear of the barrel, it is stamped "22 LONG"

On the bottom, the serial is stamped 2 times (one near the stalk and the other near the pump). The serial is 366364. Where it is stamped near the pump, there is an "A" stamped below the serial.

-As far as condition-

It looks as if the bluing is gone for the most part. The steel appears to have a very dark, tarnished look. Almost between black and brown.

The wood is in tact, and the finish is still there for the most part; however the "grip" part of the stalk was heavily taped, and I was told it had been that way since the 40's. I went ahead and took the tape off and there was a horrible adhesive residue which I removed with zippo fluid and careful wiping. The finish underneath was still shiney, but the rest of the stalk has some visible "dings" and "dents" but no gouges. The finish is a dark brown color.

As for the finish of the pump grip, it is beautiful. No dings, dents, or other imperfections, although I imagine the finish is a bit dulled.

Mechanically, all of the parts are in tact, and in working order. It appears that the gun was well oiled and kept clean. All parts move and function without any problems.

I am not sure if I gave you enough information. Obviously based on my choice of terminology I am not too familiar with the names of all of the parts.

If you need any more info, ask. I am working on pics right now and I will upload some and post the link when I am finished.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Mr. Mudd......welcome to TFF.

According to the Blue Book, your Model 1890 should be a takedown model and was manufactured in 1908.

It's very hard to value a firearm from just a description. Can you post some nice sharp, clear pictures of it?
  3. MisterMudd

MisterMudd New Member

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The condition is not all that bad. How is the bore?
  5. ken w.

ken w. Member

I think you could ask in the high three hundred to $450.00 and sell it.All the old Winchester pumps are selling high right now.
  6. MisterMudd

MisterMudd New Member

The bore, from my ammetuer perspective, is in great condition. All of the moving parts have been well oiled. The action is smooth, the magazine is perfectly functional.

I think it is just external where the obvious wear is.
  7. MisterMudd

MisterMudd New Member

Whereabouts would I be able to sell it. Is there an online consignment site that you would recommend?