The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 1893 Shotgun

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert H. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys

I picked up a few Winchester Rifles the other day and bought this shotgun as an addition to make the other deal work for the seller. Shotguns are not my forte so a little input here would help. I do know these are blackpowder and short shells. I have no plans to shoot it.

The barrel is 32 inches. It looks like a basic model. Nothing fancy. Looks to have had a repair done to the action. The gun cycles although the trigger is very light. Many dents and dings. The patina is intact. Screws in the receiver are screwdriver marks on them. Buttplate is missing a screw. Serial number is 1044x

Thank you

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello Havey,

What is it that you would like to know about it?

As Trap mentioned, it is an 1894 vintage gun, and you are correct in that it is a standard Field grade gun.

It does appear that some type of weld repair was effected on the receiver. The chamber length is 2-5/8".

I would like to know what the complete serial number on the gun is so that I can add it to my research survey.

Bert H.

#5 ·
Hello Havey,

What is it that you would like to know about it?

As Trap mentioned, it is an 1894 vintage gun, and you are correct in that it is a standard Field grade gun.

It does appear that some type of weld repair was effected on the receiver. The chamber length is 2-5/8".

I would like to know what the complete serial number on the gun is so that I can add it to my research survey.

Bert H.
Thank you Bert. I will get the serial number and send it to you for your records. This gun isn't a keeper for me, with limited space I gravitate to the lever guns. Could you put a value to it with the information you have? With the repair, I would imagine it may only be a part gun, and put me under water on it.

#7 ·
I`ve run across a couple of these through the years. Did some research and found that the "93" was produced during the transitional period from blackpowder to smokeless powder shotshells.With a twist steel barrel on the '93' Winchester realized the liability issues if smokeless powder was used. This is purported to be the first instance of a 'manufacturer`s recall' of a product in the United States.For a time, Winchester offered a new 1897 when the owner turned in his '93'.These turned in guns were destroyed. I have one in my collection along with a Winchester 1911 semi-auto shotgun (the Widowmaker) just for the history of some mistakes that were made early on.
Joe

#8 ·
Sarge,

The Model 1893 was manufactured with a rolled (fluid) steel barrel as standard. 3-blade and 4-blade damascus steel barrels were a special order item only. It was the combination of its shorter 2-5/8" chamber, and being designed for black powder pressure levels that was its down fall. Winchester never formally "recalled" it, but they did offer to replace them with a new Model 1897 if the owner wished.

On a related note, I have been surveying them for a number of years now, and thus far I have found (110) of them. In my review of the historical records (at the Cody Firearms Museum research office), there were only a few thousand of them that were returned and replaced with a Model 1897.

Bert H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.