The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 1895 with Lyman 21 sight info needed

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
Hello all I have in my collection a nice example of an M-95 Winchester with a lyman type 21 reciever sight on it . My question concerns the sight namely the elevation reference marks on the side, there are 12 of them does any one know what yardages these represent?? any info would be helpful as I plan on an elk hunt with this gun in the near future.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The marks don't indicate yardage. I'm not very familiar with that particular sight but usually the marks indicate so much movement of the POI measured in minutes of angle at whatever yardage you sight in the rifle. They can't indicate yardage as different loads will usually shoot to a different POI and have a different drop. To find out what that movement is pick your most accurate load, sight the rifle in at 100 yards, move the sight one mark up or down and shoot again. How much the POI moves is what each mark equals. Bear in mind that number will equal minutes of angle which is essentially 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 at 200, etc. As the distance increases it will take more "MOA" to achieve a center hit.

Reactions: RJay
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.