Winchester 190 Full Auto

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Enfield Von Mauser
    (12/26/01 12:25:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Winchester 190 full auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A friend of mine has a Winchester 190 .22 that goes full auto on him. I was manually working the bolt and it does drop the hammer on closing. After removing the trigger assembly, I saw it was pretty dirty in there. Could the buildup be the problem? I could cock the hammer with my thumb and get it to solidly catch the sear, so maybe the grime is preventing it from cocking all the way. I've got it soaking now and will fully clean it tomorrow. In the meantime, anybody have an opinion?
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock" Will Rogers

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/26/01 8:04:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester 190 full auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen more than one .22 go full auto due to grit and grime. A good cleaning will sometimes correct the problem.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/26/01 8:16:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Winchester 190 full auto
    That very well may be the problem. Here are some other problem spots on the Win 190:

On that rifle, the sear and sear spring are factory riveted in place inside the disconnector assembly. Check that the riveted sear pivot pin is still firmly in place and that the sear spring is intact (the long arm bears on the top of the trigger).

Also, the small stud on the trigger that contacts the sear is factory staked. Check to see that is still firmly staked.

I have only rarely seen these parts come loose. In all likelihood, a buildup of crud is probably keeping the sear/disconnector from functioning properly.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Enfield Von Mauser
    (12/27/01 11:53:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Winchester 190 full auto
    Thanks for the help guys. After soaking and a good GunScrubber enema, it seems to be working fine.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock" Will Rogers