The Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 190

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Danny Creasy 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a 25 yard speed match at our local range on second Saturdays. I think this old Winchester 190 will get it done in the open sighted class.

The rifle loves Aguila Std Vel. It has yet to jam with it over the past couple of years. I clean it about every 300 rounds. That was fired from the bench. The match consists of four strings of steel silhouettes with the clock starting at the first shot and stopping when the sixth silo falls. Ones score is his/her aggregate time for all four rows less three seconds for each row shot clean with no misses. The match is fired from the offhand position.

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks I did.

The shooter engages the rack in four separate strings. This enables the shooter to reload and gather himself for the next string while the RO works down the firing line. The RO starts and stops the watch and calls out times to a scribe. Some folks grease these rows and others struggle, but it is all for friendly competition. No match fees are charged and no prizes are given. One can even reload in a string if they so choose (never with a tube magazine however).

Some of the speed demons didn't attend the match today, and even though I struggled with the little chickens (even had to slap a second magazine in), me and the CZ managed to finish first in scoped class. The best shooters often post overall scores in the low twenties or even the teens with their Ruger 10/22s. But, the door was open today for us slower shooters. David Malone usually scores in the twenties, but like me, he struggled with the top (last) row of little chickens and it cost him first place. He was 28.06 seconds on the chickens alone after his 10 shot magazine ran dry and he reloaded with a second one. I can usually post a score in the mid to high twenties with a scoped semi-auto. Sometimes the Ruger 10/22 shooters use high cap mags, but what they gain in firepower they seem to loose in reliability. What we have learned is if you can't get em in 10, you ain't gonna be in the runnin anyway. That being said, I really like using tube repeaters and have often called on those extra rounds to hang on to what would be a good score (time).

Here is a brief report of this morning's match to help y'all visualize the match:

RAPIDFIRE RIMFIRE RIFLE MATCH

Open Sighted Rifle Class

1st 42.64 seconds Danny Creasy, Winchester 190, Aguila SV

my line scores as a vis aid for those that are not familiar with the match
Rams 9.78 seconds, minus zero (no three second subtraction as a clean run bonus), net time = 9.78
Turkeys 8.97, minus zero, net time = 8.97
Pigs 7.35, minus zero, net time = 7.35
Chickens 16.54, minus zero, net time = 16.54
Aggregate time 42.64, minus zero (semi-auto gets no action handicap) Overall score = 42.64

2nd 79.65 Mike, Marlin 39A, Federal AutoMatch (Mikes score reflects a 24 second deduction for the lever action)
3rd 120.62 Peary Willard, CZ 452 Lux, Federal 510B (Peary's score reflects a 36 second deduction for the bolt action)
4th 137.51 Peter Justinius, Winchester 62A, CCI HV Shorts (Peter's score reflects an 18 second deduction for the pump)

Telescopically Sighted Rifles

1st 36.76 seconds Danny Creasy, CZ 452 American, Simmons DeerField 4-12X40, SK Std Plus

my line scores
Rams 12.10 seconds, minus zero (no three second subtraction for as a clean run bonus), net time = 12.10
Turkeys 12.34, minus 3 second bonus, net time = 9.34
Pigs 11.66, minus 3, net time = 8.66
Chickens 42.66, minus zero, net time = 42.66
Aggregate time 72.76 seconds, minus 36 seconds for bolt action, net score = 36.76

2nd 42.64 David Malone, Ruger 10/22, Leupold M8 6X, Wolf MT
3rd 105.49 Peter Justinius, Ruger 10/22, Weaver 3-9, Federal

70 year old Peary is always game. He took on the rapidfire rifle match with an open sighted bolt action rifle.

I had a rough time with the little chickens but still managed to place well. It was fun running with a bolt gun today in T Class.

#5 · (Edited)
Yep, I purchased this from a neighbor that found it in the back of a closet. It had some latex paint blobs on it. The result of an interior remodeling project no doubt. I read on one of these forums to try rubbing alcohol. Sweet! It took it right off. Thus, I did not have to refinish the stock.

As to the suggestion to use CCI Blazer, no need, our silhouettes are the 1/5th scale NRA type. Standard velocity is actually encouraged because it is easier on the four sets of steel critters. I have been shooting this same rifle and ammo in the scoped class. We did quite well, but it is better stocked for open sight shooting. So, I wanted to give it a try in this mode.

#8 ·
I have one, it was the last firearm my Grandfather ever purchased. It went to my Dad after my grandfather passed and my Dad gave it to me when I was 16.

I plan on giving it to my youngest daughter when she's old enough. My oldest daughter is a lefty so I guess I just have to buy her something:D

Reactions: Big Shrek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.