1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Winchester 1903

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by glassparman, Oct 27, 2011.

1. glassparman

glassparman New Member

So I'm new here but I love the place already. Just wanted to share this funny story.

My father was an avid gun guy and I inherited many collector guns . . . some of which I will not discuss. Others were real cool plinking guns. One of the guns I got was a mint condition Winchester 1903 .22

Now, before I knew much about this gun I assumed that it was a regular .22 and I tried to shoot regular ammo. I always thought something was wrong with the gun because it would only fire maybe 1 out of 5 rounds I tried. I finally gave up.

One day I'm searching around on the 'net and I run across an article about this gun and learn the history on that cartridge. Needless to say I felt like a dummy trying to shoot ammo that was too small in it.

I searched and searched and finally gave up trying to get some ammo for it. After seeing people selling ammo from that batch of OWS for several bucks a round, I was disgusted and decided it would just go over the fireplace.

Then one day I'm at the barber shop talkin' guns with my long time barber. He says he knows a guy that might have some. Several months later, I come in for a haircut and he hands me a box of Winchester .22 Automatic. I take it home and check it with my calipers and it is dead on.

They were the older rounds in a copper casing, not the newer OWS stuff. After looking the rounds over for a while, I thought they looked familiar. I go out to the shop and open the box of collector rounds that i also inherited from my father; low and behold, there is a whole handful of that old .22 automatic stuff laying in there.

The moral of the story is: inventory what you have and write it down. :D

Michael
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Just one thing, Glassparman...

[​IMG]

We live for Rifle Pron!! :D