Winchester .22 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Is there something wrong with Winchester .22lr ammo? My local Walmart runs out of Federal 550 pack of .22lr but they always have plenty of the Winchester ammo. I have read Federal is a good ammo here on the TFF so that's what I have been buying. What does everyone think of Winchester ammo?
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Winchester subsonic 40 gr HP is good ammo at a reasonable price if looking for accuracy.
    Price is usually less than $30 for a brick.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I buy the Winchester bulk pack at Wal-Mart...(22lr 36 grain, 1280fps HP-Copper Plated....comes in a 333 and 555 bulk box). The 555 is around $19 I think.

It shoots very well in all my guns, even a AR15 with a 22lr conversion and my brothers 22 Chiappa 1911-22. It feeds well and is pretty clean.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the Winchester 333/555 36gr HP bulk packs over the Federal stuff...or I should say my 77/22 does. My other .22s aren't nearly as picky.

No problems with reliability or accuracy here. Like all of the new big box ammo that I've tried the past few years you might have a few duds in each box.
    I remember back when I was a kid (early 80s), me and a neighbor/classmate would burn up a 500rd brick or two nearly every weekend (Thunderbolts, Wildcats...the cheap stuff) and I honestly don't remember having nearly as many dead rounds as what you get nowadays even out of the "better" ammo. So much for things improving! :)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I have nothing against it. Seems to run ok. My guns get better accuracy with the federal is my only thing.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Winchester SuperX is fine. The Winchester Wildcat, while it might be accurate and reliable, is the filthiest stuff I've ever fired. I prefer Federal, since it is accurate and reliable, but it is also clean.
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I won't buy the Remington bulk packs anymore, have a 10% failure rate in whatever .22 I happen to be using. I contacted them about the failures in 5 bricks that I had shot up from different retailers and Remington didn't even bother to respond to me. The Winchester is better, but I believe the Federal to be the best. I had a few failures in 2 bricks of Winchester, but none in 5 bricks of Federal this year. Just my experience though.