winchester .22 worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sluggermn, May 24, 2004.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I have a small (snake gun?) winchester model 1902 on the top of the barrel is stamped

"manufactured by the winchester repeating arms co.-model 1902
    new haven conn. U.S.A. PAT. aug 28,1899 -22. short & long"

the barrel is rough there is 3 rust spots on it there is alittle rust on the butt plate, the wood is in excellent shape and barely shows any wear.
    the gun is a single shot bolt action that you have to pull the cocking knob after loading a shell into the chamber. the front sight is a dove tail and the rear sight is a apeture ( little round hole) . overall length is 34"
    any history and info including worth would be greatly appreciated!!!

Slugger
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

You have a Winchester 1902 rifle made c.1905-1910. It should have an 18" barrel with 19/32" muzzle diameter.

This was a continuation of the Model 1900 rifle with some minor improvements. Another good old John Browning design.

The Model 1902 and the full-size Model 1904 remained in production through 1931 when superceded by the various Model 58, 60, etc rifles. Over 666,000 Model 1902 rifles were produced. None were serialized.

Really crisp guns are being offered in the $300-$400 range, but they devaluate rapidly as condition worsens. This is one currently on auction at GunBroker.com:

Attached Files:

3. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

that's the one! pic's look just like mine. THANKYOU

Now does anyone know of a good 'smithy in the fargo/moorhead area?
    this gun is not firing consentely. some times you have to fire 3-4 times before it will cap off the round. probally a weak spring??
    is this a fixable thing of do I just need to retire it to the antler gunrack over the mantel?
  4. CountryGunsmith

No, its fixable. Could be other than the spring though. Competent gunsmith can make a new firing pin and spring if necessary.

No idea about Fargo or Moorhead. That's in NORTH Texas, right?
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

north texas? stop cleaning yer ears with the longhorns

:p
    Minneeesooota
    Ya sure u bet ya

Im on the border of minn. and north duh kota.
    Last edited: May 24, 2004
  6. CountryGunsmith

Yep. North Texas.
  7. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

TEXAS!! TEXAS??

I thought only steer's and ...... oh nevermind:D

[​IMG]

seriously you have been a big help a number of times CG and I really appreciate it. THANKYOU again

slugger