winchester 22L

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by larry reed, Jul 11, 2012.

1. larry reed

larry reed New Member

MY DAD GAVE ME A 22L BOLT ACTION TUBE FED HE HAD IT SENCE HE WAS 13YEARS OLD AND HE IS 78 NOW . IT SHOOTS REAL WELL IT HAS PEEP SIGHTS MODLE # 72 HOW MUCH IS THIS GUN WORTH ?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Larry but we need pictures and any writing or numbers that are on it
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Depending on the condition probably $200-250.00. Pictures are needed and welcome aboard!
  4. larry reed

larry reed New Member

Attached Files:

5. larry reed

larry reed New Member

winchester mad in the U.S.A MODLE #72
  6. pubb

pubb New Member

I am about to start my own thread on the model 72 so here's what I can tell you from doing my own research. I just purchased one today but I haven't picked it up yet for pictures. I paid $275 for a model with a pristine bore, a very slight handling mark on an otherwise nicely figured walnut stock and pretty good blue with just a few freckles. Original peep sight and no holes that don't belong.

Bear in mind that was retail price from a guy who I like and has given me very good service, so I've never once haggled with him on price. I probably could find it for less, but I willingly pay more because he backs up what he sells.

Those pictures aren't great but the gun does not look to be in pristine condition. My eyes may be playing tricks on me (see my thread) but the bolt handle appears to have been replaced and the stock appears to have been refinished. I'm not trying to insult your gun - it sounds like you have a very cherished memento from your dad.

Now the history lesson:

The model 72 was made in two distinct ranges: 38-war and postwar until 1959. It was not a terribly popular gun because other manufacturers had very good competing products. It is considered by many to be a very accurate, well designed gun of sturdy construction.

There are two different versions: the 72 and 72A. The 72A being made later had a few improvements, most notably the lifter which feeds the round from the tube was changed from a sandwiched metal construction to a solid construction. The approximate age can be determined (anecdotally) by comparing the layout and typeface of the stampings on the barrel. There is a very interesting, very long thread on the history (complete with good pictures of many specimens) of the gun at another forum. PM me and I will send you the URL.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

larry pictures are dark?